Cars contents don't corner so well?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
A simple point to remember is that the contents of a car are still subject to the laws of physics in that they will continue to travel in a direction unless acted on by another force. (Is there a name for this law?)

This means that
if you pull up sharply the umbrella or nodding dog on the rear shelf will hit you on the back of your head.

If you corner quickly the shopping will roll out all over the car and bags of flour will split and eggs will break.

How many of us have forgotten this simple rule and been caught out? I ended up with a tin of yellow emulsion inside my astra? And no - before you ask - I never did get it to all come out. :blink:

i remember in physics being told this. there was also the hanky box on the shelf, in htat it is possible for it to hit you with the force of a brick

If you corner quickly the shopping will roll out all over the car and bags of flour will split and eggs will break.

Nice to see that it's not only this family that actually cooks food rather than relying on the old ping cuisine all day everyday.

I keep three banana boxes in the boot as 'ballast'. That way the stuff's only got so far to travel. A bit like fuel tank baffles

hehe, what the hell was a can of emulsion doing open in the back of your car. and no, emulsion doesn't clean out of car upholstery very well. not done it with car carpets but certainly got enough on the carpet of the room which i was painting.
flur and eggs all over the plce, ass some sugar and you could be on to a new way of making a cake.
Enjoi

The emulsion was in a new sealed tin. It rolled and popped open. I have heard of cans of paint in hot cars exploding - it makes a bit of a mess.

HDI- real food is the only thing I'll eat. I hate the taste of Ding Dinners now and got really fed up with freezer suprise. Perhaps we should swap recipes .....

home made shepards pie is one of the best things you can make. add ginger and paprika to the gravy
yum
only thing better is homemade lentail soup

Well at least it's energy efficient - no need to plug in the old Kenwood mixer thing. Just re-use the kinetic energy created by your car's foward momentum.

Things flying forward when you break and sideways when you turn are all explained by newtons laws.

A lot of people say things flying to the side of a car when you turn too quickly is caused by centrifugal force... Which is true for anything below GCSE level physics. It's actually the lack of centripetal force that causes it to happen. When you turn a corner: you change direction (Oh really?!) and the lack of centripetal force acting on the objects in your car causes them to continue moving in the direction you were traveling before you turned the corner.

When you're in a car and treat the objects inside it in relation to the car: it seems like the objects are being pushed or pulled to the side, but when you treat the car and the objects inside it in relation to something stationary (I.E. The road, or an old skoda): it's actually the car that's being forced to change direction and the objects keep going the same way :)

PG , yes it is N's 3rd one. Conservation of momentum. An object travelling at X ms-1 will continue to do so if no other forces are applied etc.

thats newtons 3rd law am i right

well if not its the 1st or 2nd. been a while since i did standard grade physics

I think the third law is "To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"... The first law is more likely, I think :/

Rather than attempt to give my own explaination of newton's first law I'll just lift a defenition from elsewhere :p

"A physical body will remain at rest, or continue to move at a constant velocity, unless an outside net force acts upon it"

So don't leave umbrellas or boxes of tissues or nodding dogs on your back shelf because of what Newton says :)

(Also if you sit under apple trees wear a hard hat!)

actually newton's third law of motion states that for every force applied there is an opposite force. this means apparently that a fly flying into a train when it is moving, actually stops it. although in practice the fly just goes SPLAT.

Something in the opposite force yes, but not always equal.

I had a case of beer in my boot a few weeks ago...it kept moving around as I drove, I only had one choice...I had to drink the beer!! :lol:

i have a big bull mastif x rottweiller and its really funny having her in the backseat as if i corner too quickly she slides around the backseat until she lays down and her 6 stone weight holds her in place lol

if i crashed tho i think she'd probably kill me if she hit me :confused:

should really get her a seatbelt :eek:

in honesty is she didnt kill you by hitting you she would kill you by mauling for giving her such a big fright.
i'm guessing the beer must have been pretty fizzed by the time you opened it. a bit like winning the grand prix except with beer and not champagne.

That's the reason my boot looks like a council land fill site. All the crap stops the important stuff sliding around too much. Wonder if my kids would fit in as well? Could tape 'em down to the boot floor....

tape is a brilliant idea!

i might damage the dog tho :confused:

and could be expensive using like a roll of tape per journey to keep the dog still