Can you buy your write off car back from an insurer

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I have a mate whos recently had his car written off. The car a Nissan 200SX turbo is in very good condition and it is only very minor front wing and bumper damage (a silly self inflicted damage claim). The car has been valued at £1500 and his offer less his excess is £1250.

Does he have to sell the car to the insurer? It's worth more to him than their offer and the repairs can be done fairly cheaply with second hand parts, he's had a quote and can get it done for £250 + parts. Which is not far off his excess anyway.

How does he go about buying the car back or cancelling his claim?

I'm not sure exactly how it's done but it can be, the question here is how much did the insurance company say it would cost to put right again, they don't usually write a car off if it is repairable

The repair cost came to £1100! New parts and approved repairer so I'm not surprised it was written off. Its daft but the insurers were not interested in doing a cheaper repair with used parts and a back street garage!

If they estimate the cost of repair more than the value of the car they'll write it off.
You've also got to remember they don't shop around for parts etc to find the best deal so they will have higher repair costs than that of doing it yourself.
If he can repair for the price of the excess i'd do that but be aware the car may need a VIC test so consider that cost as well. If it does need the VIC test it'll need a new MOT too.

How do you go about buying the car back TN? do you have to wait for the claim to go through and then buy it?

I can't remember pal. My father bought his Capri back years ago after they wrote it off.
I think they value it as an accident damaged car and you pay that. I can't remember.

You dont have the right to buy it back Its entirely up to the insurance company. (if they pay out then its their car not yours)

You can ask but it really depends on the circumstances and the insurance company.

ya not all insurance companys have the buy back bit in there policys

but all you have to do onces its been writen off is say i want to buy it back and they will offer the car for a silly amount

if its cat d just have to have a new mot
cat c is a vic check and new mot

As long as it's a Cat C or D then most insurers are fine about this. Ask for cash in lieu of repairs and they will make a cash settlement taking into account the value of the damaged car and thier original offer.

Not all insurers will go for this but it usually means they have to pay out less and don't have a car to dispose of so it's in thier interest.

Send a letter to the claims manager rather than doing this by phone. Untrained staff may well just fob you off without really knowing the company policy.

Most of the staff you come across over the phone are inexperienced, since most of the Insurance Companies are outsourcing.

Believe me, I know!

So in all likelyhood you will lose out in a telephonic conversation as rightly pointed out by Waynne.

Cat C and Cat D, you can just cancel the claim and will have to pay for inspection, towing, storage. and of course the MOT and/or Vic.

Then you can fix up the car and take it back for re-evaluation to the insurer.

Keep in mind that since the repairs were estimated at 1100/- and the amount hey would need to pay 1250/-, they are out only by 150/-. so they, with their offer have lost 150/-

This added to the amounts mentioned above, ie towing, inspection, storage and mebbe a courtesy car, less the scrap value of the car would be what they would be hoping to recover.

Do Not! I repeat Do Not accept the amount, because after the title of property is passed on to the insurer, chances of getting it back are slim to nothing, as its a long drawn out process, and the damage the car may further suffer in transit may not leave the car as appealing to you, as it is now.

Lemme know how it goes.

Some insurance companies will only repair up to 65-85% of the value of a car before they consider it uneconomical. My business partner also runs a body shop and see's this all the time. It's really bad imho..