Big disappointments

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever gone for a test drive to end up being sorely disappointed with the car?

What car was it, what was wrong with it? What were you expecting?

I test drove a 206 Diesel, it felt really slow, handling was really really soggy and vague and the build quality left a lot to be desired. It had only done 1000 miles! I hope it was a one off but I don't think I'll go near Peugeot 206's for some time! maybe the 207 is much better!

I recall driving a new MG ZT-T 160 V6 demonstrator and was really disappointed in the performance. I was bouncing off the rev limiter too easily. Many moons ago I test drove a Renault Fuego which was a year old or so and couldn't enjoy the drive as I could not adjust the seat height, therefore my head was touching the roof, walked away.

Tried an automatic Vectra 2.5 V6 brand new in 1999. Suprrisingly slow compared to the V6 Cavalier that I thought was quite pleasant. My 2.0 Nissan Primera was far more drivable than both Vauxhalls.

In 1979 when I was seriously looking to buy a Porsche 924. It was brand new with 10 miles on it. Amazingly the dealer never bothered to drive it before allowing any customer to. On the test drive Interior trim literally fell off the dash into my lap, syncro's ground even with the clutch pedal buried to the floor and weird ticking engine noise? Needless to say I was amazed and highly disappointed, also the sales rep was extremely embarrassed as this one was the only one he had to drive! After 3 miles we returned, parked the 924 and I said NO Thanks! Not a good first impression of Porsche for me.:(

My BEST car ever was my 1971 Chevy Monte Carlo Custom. I drove the H out of it for 37,000 miles in 16 months and ZERO problems with it! I can not say that for any other American ride I have purchased since then! \B YES! I still look at Porsche, but continue to hesitate because of my 924 experience, I know only one bad experience should NOT cause a lifetime of NO to Porsche, but mentally it still does! :confused:

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back