Best turbo dunp size by a Garrett engineer

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Thanks, but my 3" Ceramc coated system cost over £1600 so I will stick with it for now :)

3" system was used on my YB at 700bhp & indeed it became the first YB to exceed 200mph in that form. Only went to 3.5" when Power went over 800bhp. I suggests Steves choice is just right for his Spec.

im not sure that hp is the only factor on exhaust size .
Id have thought hp isnt directly related to cc or revs but these are the factors that I would have thought are more likely to determine the amount of exhaust gases which is what the exhaust design is removing

Logic tells me that the free flow of the exhaust gasses is governed by the header design including the internal diameter of the runners followed by the turbine housing AR and then by the dump and system diameter and the design of the silencer.

I am aware that cam profile ,timing, valve lift etc,port design and valve size also have a part to play.

IMO any turbo needs as close as possible to zero back pressure after exiting the turbine housing.

Just thinking out loud BUT happy to stand corrected if incorrect :)

Last edited:
6boost.jpg just bought a new 6boost twin schroll manifold . theoretically same lenght and diameter pipes to the twin schroll fitting with 3 cylinders into each .