Ban on smoking in cars

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
There are currently headlines muting the possibility of legislation banning the smoking in cars if young children are present.

Smokers are decrying it as and infringement on their rights and others are praising this as an essential move to protect childrens health.

What are your thoughts on this proposal? Is it a good idea? Are you a smoker?

Last edited:
Well I see nothing wrong in having this rule pushed through. If the adults want to smoke in their own car then so be it, but to subject the young ones to smoke inhalation in such a confined space is just plain wrong IMO.

see nothing wrong with it after all its their car, whats next stopping them smoking in their own house if they have kids.

makes a change from the old reason that its a distraction while driving

If the adults want to smoke in their own car then so be it, but to subject the young ones to smoke inhalation in such a confined space is just plain wrong IMO.

Agree! I am a smoker. One and a half box of Lucky Strike daily, but never smoke in the car and never smoke in same room with children or in nonsmokers house regardles if my host sayz it OK if I light it up.
Think it is matter of common decency.

makes a change from the old reason that its a distraction while driving

Correct! That is second real reason. They can also ban auto radios and cd players out of the car. Real reason is to leave political impression of health concern and more important - easy way to bill some more money into state vault.
Like they care about anything besides votes and incomes. When police officer give you an ticket for not using seat belt, do you think he is honestly concern what if you get into accident without seatbelt or he just do it for sake of positive report when he finish his shift?
Same with legislators - they need illussion of care and they need ways to bill more money.
As for smoke - bad and smelly habit, but if you are smoker you should not smoke infront of nonsmokers and children in small spaces anyway. Same like you should not fart - common decency.

I'm a non-smoker but I think if someone wants to smoke in their car then they should be able to. I think it's wrong to smoke around any children though as they shouldn't have to enhale it.

This country is (getting) ridiculous.

The ban is only on smoking in a car when a child is present from what I can make out, does that seem more sensible to people?

The ban is only on smoking in a car when a child is present from what I can make out, does that seem more sensible to people?

Of course it make sense. I just think that is matter of decency and not legislative issue. But if there are people who does not care for childrens health so make it the law.

i live in swindon and i do see loads of drivers smoking with children inside.... i do think it should be a law about it.

Couple of points

1. If this goes through They will never be able to regulate this law it would be near impossible

2. My old man smoked when I was present if you open a window Smoke never goes near the children in the first place.

3. If they want to ban it everywhere they should ban it fully

Agree except for point 2.

Couple of points

1. If this goes through They will never be able to regulate this law it would be near impossible

2. My old man smoked when I was present if you open a window Smoke never goes near the children in the first place.

3. If they want to ban it everywhere they should ban it fully

I think it should be illegal to smoke while driving, what happens when a lit fag end falls into your lap? Accidents have happend when this has happend.

Then car stereo's should be banned as they have caused accidents as well.

See where you are aiming and I agree with sarcasm. Will continue same route:

What about codrivers? They have caused accidents too. Roads caused accidents...even cars itselfs caused accidents. :)

Technically a smoker can already be charged with driving without due care and attention just as someone eating a chocolate bar whilst driving can.

See where you are aiming and I agree with sarcasm. Will continue same route:

What about codrivers? They have caused accidents too. Roads caused accidents...even cars itselfs caused accidents. :)

Quite true. I think too much thought goes into things like this.

Technically a smoker can already be charged with driving without due care and attention just as someone eating a chocolate bar whilst driving can.

Yes but they have to have a solid case that it was actually distracting you enough to be charged.
Like I say smoking, eating or drinking, how can they ban it? Playing with the stereo is far worst in most cases imo.

Although I personally would like to see it happen, I think policing it would be very difficult. Look at the people still driving around with a mobile phone glued to their ears, fines and the threat of points on the license does not deter them from continuing this practise. The penalties would have to fit the crime if it is to succeed, yet I fear that this too if it comes to fruition will only be a token gesture.

"The penalties would have to fit the crime if it is to succeed"

how much is a fine for driving using the mobile phone? i'm preety shure its a joke of a fine....

IMHO they should leave things how they are Should repeal the banned mobile phones while driving, Leave smokers alone I smoked second hand all my child life never hurt me ;)

I have quit smoking (as some of you may know) for 7 months now. I don't want to see that ban in place. Its just another way of earning money. Another thing for them gutter rats driving T5's and more recent 325's (what ressession) to pull you over and ruin your day with.

Big brother

Leave smokers alone I smoked second hand all my child life never hurt me ;)

Except for the nervous twitch every now and then, and the shakes with occasional spasms and the frequent visits to the clinic and the coughing fits, I am in the best of health :lol:

Lets hope you do remain healthy PP ;)
I was a cigarette smoker once and then packed them up! I do however still smoke my big cigars though :embarrest:

IMHO they should leave things how they are Should repeal the banned mobile phones while driving, Leave smokers alone I smoked second hand all my child life never hurt me ;)

Roy castle died in his 60's from 2nd hand smoke;)

Imo they should do it its just plain wrong!!!
I also think they should give parents who blatantly swear infront of and at their kids an on the spot fine!!