Auto gearbox genius required

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
I am looking for someone who knows all there is to know about auto gearboxes and how to modify and strengthen them, in particular a Saab 9-3 2003 Aero with 5 speed Tiptronic. Factory run for a standard 210BHP in 2003, now running 396BHP, will soon be running 700BHP! 600BHP standard power and 100BHP plus with NOS.

Not willing to have the old girl off the road for any real length of time, so I will have another gearbox shipped out to the company for the work to be done!

Does anybody here on TC know of such a company? Have made lots of phone calls today all to no avail :(

These people were not on my list of phone calls today TN, many thanks :) I will give them a call in the morning.

will find out a number from a bloke who done one for a mate
for a trans am has a supercharger plus nos and other bits think he built the axle and box to go to about 1000hp

i believe any gm gearbox will fit, so a swap could be a better bet, see the ppc saab engined 500 bhp conversion

i believe any gm gearbox will fit, so a swap could be a better bet, see the ppc saab engined 500 bhp conversion

Many thanks for the help Aston, but i'm still 100BHP shy and that's if I decide not to use the NOS! The damage I received on the engine was due to several weak links in the chain, a scenario which can never be allowed to be repeated! The search goes on! ;)

You should also talk to Quaife. Matching the ratios to power band is pretty important.

What actually happened to the engine? Was this cooling (or insufficiency thereof) related?

This is just the most bizarre thing! still theories bouncing around nothing tangible has come of it so far! The car was fine, no coughing, spluttering, warning lights not anything. Thought I would have some better forged pistons put in with an even better cam etc! What with the NOS I thought I would make the engine stronger in preparation of pushing the big button.
Left it with the garage to take the engine out and strip it down when I got the call to come down urgently! :amazed:
They think the no 4 sparkplug went hot after possibly running lean due to possibly insufficent flow from the injector, then Boom! It is still a huge mystery even now!
So while the new engine is on the way, the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, secondary fuel feed circuit is being created, fuel pressure alarm sensors, 750cc fuel injectors are to be fitted and a whole host of other features. Will put this down to an Arthur C Clarke moment until other facts present themselves to us.

I should actually point out that the auto gearbox is fine, but I feel I am on borrowed time with the huge power increase of the new engine yet to arrive. Still no one found at the moment capable of taking this modification on. As the gearbox has 93K on it now, I may well just put it in for a full rebuild and a torque converter modification and then see how it performs! At the end of the day the car started with 210bhp and is now running 396 without the NOS so the gearbox has been an absolute marvel so far under the circumstances.

Last edited:
One thing you should do is get a Xmission oil cooler fitted, if it's not there as standard.

Also, an oil/water heat exchanger for the engine, although this is very probably there already.

If it was running lean then how has the lambda remained in spec and not reported a fault. Perhaps with the other 3 running slightly rich?

This is a serious project now. At 600bhp you'll be nearly 2/3rds the way to a Veyron's peak power output.

Cheers HDi, I am popping down there tomorrow morning to check on the progress so I shall ask these questions and make those enquires.