Are many hand car washes qualified

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Looking at the quality of work at some car wash places I just wonde rif any of them have had proper training in washing and cleaning cars.

They use the same spong on the wheels as they do on the bodywork and they do the wheels first!

I've also not seen any of them using a wool wash mit or even a clay bar for that matter.

Is it the same near you? I think i'd rather let one of the local kids with his dads bucket near my car before i take it in to a hand car wash.

dont know theres only one near me. i take it they do a good job as theres buckets there, more than 1 per car, and have seen them with a foam lance. but id rather do it myself

my car im happy to let the £2.50 car washes places do mine (only cause my paint work is quite poor now!) but the mrs i wouldnt let her take hers to 1 cause hers is a new car and as stated by xavier they have no clue how to clean a car properly!!!!!!!

there is a place up by me that i think the claps are qualified as they can do the works on it
but most of there work is quick in and out jobs
the blokes out the front of my garage are not they have the same water all day sometimes or a few days and just top it up with water out of the jet wash

but i am a qualified valeter was part of my mechanics course when i did it but now they took it out same as most things they get less training and to a lower skill

but is very rare that i do a full clean on my cars the landrover got washed the other day when i went throu a ford lol
and teh trans am just got a wipe over untill a few weeks then it will get a good poilish and wax might even clay bar it but was only painted last year and not done many miles since so is still clean

Mine are also from all sides of the eastern block, they call me, Mr Saab guy! "I am a regular" always greet me with a smile and for a fiver outside and £9 inside and out, I really can't complain! they even give the car an extra wipe when water trickles out from behind a bit of trim, and give the car a squirt of air freshner on the mats! Top lads!

I know! had that nonsense with a previous cleaner, I think he was determined to remove a layer of paint everytime I visited them, had to draw the line at my first sight of red primer though, lol ;)

Ok for runabouts and cars your not to bothered about but paintwork is the issue. Some will be respectful and treat your car well but others use materials that are harsh or dirty and no way would I use them.

Besides, part of having a decent car is the cleaning of it. Theres nothing better than spending time cleaning your own pride and joy and taking that moment at the end after a good hard days cleaning and waxing admiring ones handy work.