Are driving simulators or simulation games accurate

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on driving simulators and driving games? Are they accurate? Are they useful?

I've heard that some professional drivers use games to get familiar with tracks and track layouts.

The main thing that winds me up is the simplistic tuning options... slap on a turbo 3000 credits and job done. If only it were that simple in the real world.

Also all performance parts seem to give you more performance but in the real world that is not always the case, especially if you fit them in isolation.

Do you learn much from driving games or simulators? Do you have a favourite?

I quite like the GranTurismo range of games, they are fun and the physics and handling are reasonably well done but still the tuning options and tweaks are so simplistic and generic.

I love the Gran Turismo games. 5 Was the best for me.
Had many a night online racing with that game. So much fun with the wheel.

But. In saying that. And I am sorry Waynne.
But it is far far far from a simulator.

It isn't a bad game. And the physics are ok. But it is far from a proper simulator.

Iracing is the game you want if you want proper simulation.
Professional drivers use Iracing to hone skills.

I have actually never tried Iracing only read countless reviews as it is a subscription service and you have to buy most things once you have the game.
I am very tempted to get it but just for fun I don't think it is worth the cost of the subscription.

Other sims.
Euro Truck is a great simulator. And they are still updating and making it a better experience.
Also American Truck is another great one. And again although I don't have American Truck it is still made by SCS on the same platform as Euro Truck so going by that it will be as good a sim as Euro Truck.

Even pro HGV drivers come home and play Euro Truck. |B

I play Project Cars on XBox 1. No performance upgrades just drive what you're given. Doing the full practise/setup, qualifying and then actual race with fuel, tyre wear and subsequent pitstops with the variable weather all in real time is pretty life like for me. Love playing the 80s touring cars. The entry level Renault Clio Cup is fun to with all cars having same performance and minimal setup tweeks to be done.
I do use a Thrustmaster TX Pro wheel with a sturdy frame. Would like to get the manual clutch peddle set and gearshift but they're pretty expensive. Lot of EBay scouring but they don't come up very often

I bought Project Cars the other week on steam sale.

Project Cars is good fun but was a flop from what was promised.
Even the game of the year edition has hardly any cars.
The best thing about Project Cars is it has Cadwell Park in it.
Best Circuit in England in my opinion. But I am bias being that I have marshalled there for over 10 years. Although saying that I have most UK Circuits but Cadwell was always the favourite.
Solely for the fact I got to nail my own car round the circuit to my corner. |B

I play any racing/driving game that my nephew challenges me to |B
Cannot get to grips with the hand controllers the games machine comes with, so one Christmas I treated him to the reclining media chair, steering wheel and foot peddles |B

The wheel really does make so much of a difference.
It is entirely a new experience.

I was a pad user for many many years.
It took me a week on the wheel just to get as fast as I was on the pad.

But now. I need a wheel. Don't like racing on a pad anymore.

I need a wheel too but I don't have any space to store it sadly! It will stay on my wish list until I get rid of another hobby and free up some space. Apparently I'm taking up too much of the house already! :D

I think a car game where you could buy new tracks, latest model cars and it will grow over the years would be good.

Go back a few years to GT2 or the original and the cars and tracks are so dated! Upgrades could include game physics over the years but I guess they make more money selling a new version every few years.

I hear the latest GT is going to be pretty much online only! I didn't care much for online games and community events and things. There was always a burk or someone who wanted to spoil a good lap.

I have project cars too but never really got into it. I just can't get into gaming on my PC. I work in front of it all day long and the thought of playing a game on it just fills me with fear.

Sadly my time for gaming is pretty much non existent. Times are hard as they say and I have to earn every penny I can to keep afloat, plus family commitments and community work take up lots of time.