Are car manufacturers cutting corners

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Been looking around a lot of showrooms recently and I get a feeling that manufacuters are cutting corners using thinner metal, cheaper plastics and cheap uphostery inside the car.

Do you agree with my conclusions? What have you noticed along these lines?

This thought reminds me about the legend of Volvo. More than 10 years ago it was seen as the safest car with description that nothing bad has happened to passengers and car was with little damage comparatively to other make involved in accident. But lately I have heard about some XC90 after the accident and it was not reparable. Maybe as one of the reasons they have thinner metal for pedestrian safety. I have this thought some week ago when I discussed with my wife the myth about the Volvo as the safest car.
And I can agree with you about plastics and other things. When I got my new Hyndai Getz in 2006, I thought that they economized even on wiper blades as they squeaked in the rain almost from the beginning. The next one thing was that colour in the places that are not exterior was painted mat.
It seems that it is one of the instrument to compete others on cost of the car.

Or maybe they try to do the things that will not allow users to use the cars for too long. And that will make the customers to buy new ones. They assure themselves. :)

xc90 is a ford with a volvo badge on it
but they are still safe does it matter if it writes the car off if it alows you to wake away or if you hit someone it safes there life

I work on this stuff and you are write cheap and crap/sorry all have been a panel better for34 yaers and we now have to work on crap/ sad to say but its true the good days have gone that what we have to pay for now/I still love cars

also with newer cars i have noticed if you accidently slide your car in snow for no fault of your own you just bounce off no damaged caused very helpfully

also with newer cars i have noticed if you accidently slide your car in snow for no fault of your own you just bounce off no damaged caused very helpfully

nothing to do with the car sliding in the snow is all down to the driver
99% a car crashes or slides its down to the driver being silly

Been looking around a lot of showrooms recently and I get a feeling that manufacuters are cutting corners using thinner metal, cheaper plastics and cheap uphostery inside the car.

Do you agree with my conclusions? What have you noticed along these lines?

No, I don't agree.

ok i admit i was trying to flick snow up in the air but the other car was like 100 yards away i just kept sliding really really slowly i swear i could have got out and just pushed it back, But on the other side i did go and knock on doors till i found the owner and fes up and swop insurance details

xc90 is a ford with a volvo badge on it
but they are still safe does it matter if it writes the car off if it alows you to wake away or if you hit someone it safes there life

It is a good innovation and it is good that manufacturers care about this issue - safety of the passengers and pedestrians.

One observation. I don't know if it is a cutting corner or not (as earlier head lamps were from glass and it was not so easy to make scratches on it when washing the car). I have seen some little car accidents where spherical front headlamps or spherical tail lamps made more damage to another vehicle and almost nothing (maybe some broken brackets to lamp) had happened to these cars.

I think that cars sold between the 8k - 13k mark seem very cheep inside. I don't know what it is. The worst offenders I'd say are ford, pugs and Seat. They just feel cheep and nasty.

You see a lot of new cars, where they have changed the dash design, but on close inspection, you notice the buttons on it are the same as the last 10 years. Electric window buttons are the main offender.

And I cant stand all these crappy little cubby hols in cars. You will have one in your roof for sunglasses, three in your center console, one for pennie chews, another for odd change and another to collect dust. And they all feel like they were made by a 14 yo school child building a project for there mid exams. Cheep and nasty.

I have one, under my steering wheel. (Granted the inside of an evo is quite nice, but I still don't like cubby holes). I have tried keeping change in it, pointless, it rattles. I cant fit sunglasses in it, cant fit anything of any use, so what is the point?? I just keep an emergancy £10 in it, just in case.

T9, I stash money all over the place just incase I am skint at the end of the month. But, because I never am, I forget about it. I must have around £50 in 5er's and pound coins around the house just where I have hid it incase I don't have any cash for a pack of 20 L+B.

Its like when I'm drunk, I hide money on my self for the taxi home, but always end up going to the bank anyway!! The amount of money that has gone through the wash hidden in pockets on jeins that are not meant to be used is rediculas!!!!! lol :bigsmile:

If I get mugged, it would take me and the muggers about 30 min to find everything!!! lol

T9, I stash money all over the place just incase I am skint at the end of the month. But, because I never am, I forget about it. I must have around £50 in 5er's and pound coins around the house just where I have hid it incase I don't have any cash for a pack of 20 L+B.

Its like when I'm drunk, I hide money on my self for the taxi home, but always end up going to the bank anyway!! The amount of money that has gone through the wash hidden in pockets on jeins that are not meant to be used is rediculas!!!!! lol :bigsmile:

If I get mugged, it would take me and the muggers about 30 min to find everything!!! lol

You absolutely crack me up BBJ :lol::lol: