Anyone used the fse power boost valve

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What are the fse power boost valves like as a performance mod, do they work? Are they worth the money?

As far as I am aware they are just adjustable, rising rate fuel pressure regulators.

Possibly a useful modification if your engine is having problems getting enough fuel through its existing system.

However, the product's name screams snake oil to me.

They give a snappier response but not more power. Higher fuel pressures in the fuel rail could also expose weaknesses in the fuel system.

Snappier throttle response. That's all I noticed in my 220GTi when I had one fitted.

Theory is: The fuel pressure in the rail drops as the fuel pump tries to keep up. The PBV does is react to pressure changes almost twice as quickly thus maintaining the pressure in the rail. This translates to a better throttle response and in some cars with 'flat spots' on acceleration it can be quite an improvement.

I can use my current fvourite pedant phrase again :D

it doesnt produce better performance in itself it just lets the motor run to its potential

So, it is simply a decent fuel regulator?
That's my understanding anyway! I guess manufacturers cut a few corners and go with a few compromises. I'm not sure it's worth shelling out for one though unless yours is starting to fail.

My motto is generally replace parts when broken with a performance option/upgrade. You save a fortune working this way usually!