Anyone drove or owned an ST220

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Has anyone here any info on mondeo st220's, are they really that good? Worth the money or is there a much cheaper alternative (not st200 please) Cheers all

A Diesel will never drive like a petrol and visa versa, power delivery is totally different. linear delivery over block delivery, A mondeo is a mondeo doesn't mean to say any mondeo is a bad car. I just seem to read great raves about the ST 220 and wondered what the hype is all about. Is it a car worth seeking out or is there better for the same money (used)

For the money the ST220 is hard to beat in my opinion.

Totally agree about the diesel v petrol thing; thankfully now it is as you say, just a difference in the way power is delivered, not a chasm of difference in overall performance that it was only a few years ago. Basically down to driver preference.

The ST220 can be had for relatively small money because of the rate at which it attracts road tax and it's fuel consumption. Both tend to hurt used values, which is GREAT for those of us that buy 2nd user cars!! The diesel 2.2 STs come at a premium.

I'll also add that some of the fuel saving a diesel offers is offset quite hard by these factors:

purchase price;
fuel cost is higher per litre;
servicing is more frequent;
servicing is more expensive.

That's not to say don't have one, but don't buy a diesel just to save money. You won't be dissapointed with the performance, much the reverse. BUT, buy it if, and only if, you like the brutal torque delivery between 1500 and 4000 rpm.

The ST220 is a great drive, most came with 18" rims so expect tyres to be costly.

Ford's Mondeo is a truly great car in my opinion, the years of Ford baiting have long disappeared. In ST220 form it's an outstanding buy and likely to give years of trouble free driving in return for mass market servicing and mantenance costs.

See JC's report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1OBqrfIQOM

Go and enjoy looking for one :)

Last edited:
The 'ST220' is "just a Mondeo" in the same vain the 'W8' and 'R36' are "just Passats".

Nothing wrong with mainstream cars gone sports - in fact - in-case you hadn't noticed, I like the Q car factor it gives them, and the shock it can give other motorists in 'sports cars'.

i have never owned or driven a st220 but i have been a passenger in 1 and tbh they are a good car for an affordable price!
but i wouldnt put them in the quick bracket they are more comfortable cruisers!! power wise they are in comparison to a small hatch a saxo vts!!!
and i have witnessed this first hand it was only over a certain speed which was illegal for the road that the mondeo started to pull away!!

i have never owned or driven a st220 but i have been a passenger in 1 and tbh they are a good car for an affordable price!
but i wouldnt put them in the quick bracket they are more comfortable cruisers!! power wise they are in comparison to a small hatch a saxo vts!!!
and i have witnessed this first hand it was only over a certain speed which was illegal for the road that the mondeo started to pull away!!

TBH if the Saxo could keep up then it was either seriously tuned or the Mondeo wasn't running right. Or down to drivers?
I had a bog standard 1.8 16v Mondeo and it ate Vts's for breakfast. Even on pull off in the dry it nailed them.

TBH if the Saxo could keep up then it was either seriously tuned or the Mondeo wasn't running right. Or down to drivers?
I had a bog standard 1.8 16v Mondeo and it ate Vts's for breakfast. Even on pull off in the dry it nailed them.

probably down to the vts's you played with! (maybe they where west coast wannabe vts's?):amazed:
cause my mate who's st220 i was in had owned some quick cars and knew how to drive them!!!

I watched an old top gear the other day, I know clarkson isn't the be all and end all but he gets to drive a lot of good cars and can drive, he rated the mondeo st 220 as 10/10 and a must buy, he has never said this about any other normal car (Except the Mazda 6 mps (which is not as cheap))

Depending on the mileage and condition of the ST220 you go for, we're talking nearly 147 GTA money here! I know which one I'd rather have....

Depending on the mileage and condition of the ST220 you go for, we're talking nearly 147 GTA money here! I know which one I'd rather have....
Yeah the GTA's allways appealed to me but in all honesty any journalist who has drove one really slated them so I guess they are not up too much (How come you baught the GT more money than a gt), (Autodelta is a different beast altogether though) As for the Mondeo, sub £4k and no more.
But as allways I think there must be a much cheaper alternative to every car.

Read here,
ST 220 http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/good_car_bad_car/article1069654.ece

Alfa GTA
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article1098842.ece

Top gear on the 220 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1OBqrfIQOM

Last edited: