Abs

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
the bora is my 1st car with abs and the other day i used the brakes and felt the pedal vibrating under my foot until the car had slowed right down to 10mph

i have to admit this feeling shocked me ad 1st and had me wondering what was wrong with ma brakes. it was ma father that said it was the ABS.

Now i know its a good thing to have as it saves the brakes locking up but i couldnt help thinkin that manufactures could have done something to save the feeling in the pedal

i did always wonder why it said when doing an emergency stop to keep pressure on the brakes if it has abs and not to pump it

It is a wierd sensation but on ice it is handy and tells you if you need to employ candence braking (Only on ICE and Snow though;)) it also helps you to know where the limits of your car are. Perhaps a warning light on the dash would suffice but I dont think i'd notice it in the heat of an emergency situation.

Sorry Waynne, but cadence braking must never be used in a car with ABS, regardless of surface conditions. With ABS just plant your foot on the pedal as hard as you can. You won't damage anything. Then get on with steering round or past whatever it is you're trying to avoid.

The reason manufacturers fit emergency brake assist systems is because most people don't brake hard enough or soon enough. And if they do, the ABS pedal feedback often leads them to release pressure on the pedal.

ABS can only work properly if the pedal is fully applied. Cadence braking will confuse the system into releasing the brakes too early.

totally agree that having invoked ABS in a critical situation it's worth taking note of your car's limits and the conditions. Apply the knowledge next time round.

I also think that on loose snow ABS can be a handicap as locked front wheels cause snow to bank up in front of the tyres, often stopping you quicker.

HDI I agree 100% with you as I meant to say only ever do this on SNOW and ICE. I'm fairly convinced that ABS is a handicap on ice. If you are on ICE chances are you are stuffed anyway but surely the ABS will back off to the point where the brakes are not applied at all so cadence will fool the ABS sensors momentarily. I am prepared to stand corrected though and will read any counter arguements or theories with interest.

Gravel is another situation where the banking up in front of a locked wheel can slow the car up more quickly than the ABS would otherwise let you. (I'll have to wait till it gets icy and try this one out!);) If only ABS was more clever.

Last edited:
Good point about gravel - ABS inhibits the pile up of that in front of the tyres much like it does snow. I suppose you could always pull out the fuse/relay for the ABS in those conditions but I suspect that you're insurers would deem that as tampering and therefore render your policy void.

I agree, on sheet ice you're largely f....ed anyway, ABS, ESP whatever. If there's no grip then there's no grip and no arsenal of electronics is gonna fix that one.

Rgds,

Paul.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back