A solution to road works and delays?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Here is an interesting PROPOSAL from the government.

Utility companies to be charged if they do roadworks during busy/peak times.

In an effort to minimise the expensive disruption and delays caused by road works companies are being encouraged to dig up the road overnight and during off peak periods or they face possible new charges for road closures.

Do you think this is a good idea? Would it speed up the roadworks done by utility companies? Do you think it would make much difference?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14610580

i think its a brilliant idea, they could aslo fine then for digging up the same patch a few weeks later when someone else comes to do something.

counil have just done that here, water or gas company was changing a pipe so traffic lights were out and temp ones in place, week after they finished the council switched the lights off to change them so temp ones back up again for a few days

About time, no doubt with all the trenches being dug up they are 'looking into it' :amuse:

Anyone remember that advert that had everyone working at the same time whilst the hole was intially being dug up? Last shot was an undertaker peering into the hole.

This is long overdue imo! now it's a case of watch this space and to see if someone actually develops a backbone and pushes this through.

About time, no doubt with all the trenches being dug up they are 'looking into it' :amuse:

Anyone remember that advert that had everyone working at the same time whilst the hole was intially being dug up? Last shot was an undertaker peering into the hole.

I remember that advert! use to give me a chuckle when I watched it; I always thought to myself afterwards, 'yeah right, if only!' :)

I think who ever digs up the road should re-lay the whole affected section & not a shoddy backfill repair that normally happens. That way it would provide an incentive for the company doing the work to find partners to offset the cost relaying that section. I would be happy to put up with delays if they leave the road in good condition afterwards.

Agree with this.

I think who ever digs up the road should re-lay the whole affected section & not a shoddy backfill repair that normally happens. That way it would provide an incentive for the company doing the work to find partners to offset the cost relaying that section. I would be happy to put up with delays if they leave the road in good condition afterwards.

We have had the Gas board digging up the roads near me, made a right mess to start with as they are replacing all the main pipes. However they have done a decent job clearing up and tarmacing the roads, pavements and replacing the damaged grass kerb sections. Unfortunately you still come across a neanderthal working in the gangs and cannot drive a truck or dumper to save his life.

A lot of the patches that have been installed round here on the roads have started to sink and leave pot holes.

Well, I was always wondering when stuck in horrible traffic, WTH, why do they cut flowers, bushes on the roundabouts during peak time, hot like in hell and they deciding to do some gardening and blocking half of the roundabout, miles of traffic or some stupid small repairs which they usually start around 12noon and finish 5pm, why ????????????????
who makes this strategic decisions ???????????
He must be a cyclist or be a complete moron.

I think the proposal is a great idea and any silly roadworks (most of them) should be banned if they could be done at night.
I'm not being funny but roadworks workers get loads of money and all you can see is them standing and smoking roll ups or standing around one worker who is actually doing something.
All those private companies charging councils or whatever so much money that they can easily cut half of daily shifts and move them to night shifts, ideally all roadworks (not major ones obviously which can take a year) should take place over the night....

Last edited by a moderator: