260 Dreamer

derek999

Car
MG ZT-T Cdti
Hello everybody.
I'm Derek, currently enjoying driving and tinkering with my first diesel, an MG ZTT Cdti with the BMW M47 engine. I have always enjoyed personalising and modifying my cars, and never more so than now with the MG.
I look forward to chatting with like-minded forum members on the subject of tuning diesels and even helping where possible.
I am currently developing a thermostat mod for this engine to correct it's tendency to take up to 10 miles to warm up, plus a charge cooler system to improve the low end performance.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

A happy new year to all.

Derek

Hello and welcome. The engines you mention remap quite well to over 150bhp. Unfortunately BMW didn't let MG get hold of the higher powered standard 4 cylinder units (they've kept 'em in house for now) - these have even more 'slack', surprisingly.

Hi HDi fun.
You're quite right, unfortunately Rover made things even worse by choking the air inlet to a 6" by 1/2" slot, which would restrict a moped engine!
Mine now has a 3" connection from airbox to the front of the car. This and the EGR bypass + fuelling computer have raised output quite significantly.
I am looking at the remap route, but the options in my area are a little sparse, and I would prefer to use a company with a track record on the M47 engine and Rover software at the very least as I am now retired and need to watch the pennies!
I am open to suggestions from forum members with experience of Rover 75/MG ZT remaps, together with their observations on the results.
When the weather improves I will be fitting an unrestricted exhaust, a boost regulator/gauge plus a charge cooler to improve the bottom end where the intercooler is ineffective. At that point there will be no restrictions to affect a remap when it is done.
My thanks for your observations.
Derek

Thank you both for your cordial welcome.

I am a relative newcomer to the world of forums, but have to say that I have learnt a vast amount from the others I have joined since purchasing my car.
I am sure that this will continue with TorqueCars and hope that I may also make some worthwhile contributions.

I wish all a very happy and prosperous new year.

Derek

Hello and welcome to the nuthouse mate ;)

stamford might be able to put you towards someone that knows the Rover/MG|BMW setup

can you not fit the parts that rover changed back to the BMW spec ?

Hi.
Yes, some parts will swap over but there were many changes made due to the change from RWD to FWD. Unfortunately the BMW turbos are a difficult fit due to space limitations, so a hybrid may be required, plus it seems that it is more important to get the fuel timing and quantities just right rather that just whack up the boost.
I'm beginning by concentrating on reducing the charge temperature over the whole boost range by using both a charge cooler and the standard inter cooler on the premise that the charge cooler works best at the lower end due to its thermal inertia, and the inter cooler at the upper end as it is ineffective below about 40mph due to lack of air movement.
If this works out, I should get a lowered charge temperature throughout the whole range, allowing for increasing the fueling to suit. A slight increase in boost should then be required. BMW D3 and 123D models are already getting around 200bhp and since they all apparently use the same bottom end, it should be safe to aim at that limit.
I'm also looking at the clutch type used in those models as I gather that the standard ZT diesel clutch is likely to expire quickly if driven for fun with the torque available in that state of tune.

As I said earlier, I am taking my time and sourcing the required parts at the best possible prices, but as I complete each stage I'll post the results for all so see. Ultimately a remap will be required and I think I have found somebody locally with the equipment to do this (plus the interest & knowledge to do it well) and if he has dyno facilities too that would be a bonus.
Will update asap.

Derek

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back