2 year MOT testing.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
In the Uk we have the dreaded annual road worthiness test the MOT. I'm sure other countries have their equivalents.

Currently cars over 3 years old are tested annually. Proposals look like they are going ahead for biannual (2 years) testing.

Do you think this is a good thing? Will you support the 2 year test if it were stricter?

remember reading about this last year when it was proposed.
At the time it ws going to be tested first after 4 years then every second year. BUT would apply to new cars only. Cars registared before the change would still have to comply with the current legistation.

if this did get the go ahead, i think, there would have to be a cut off point where it would change back to yearly. look at it this way if you have a 10 year old car thats just scraping through it MOT would still be OK for another 2 years rather than just 1.

the 1 major downside i can see to 2 year mots is they would not be able to pass a car with advisorys so that would mean getting the work done there and then to get an mot £££ instead of being able to put the advisorys right over the year

they will never do it as i get the mot mags every month and it has been put off for the last 2 years as it will help no one mot bays wil be hit so the prices will have to go up i have failed load of 3 year old cars just cos they are new does not meen nothing will go wrong
mots bays less work police more work the aa more work vosa more work crashes a lot more

same thing any car will not had any rust yet but when we did the volvo dealership had loads with balljoints gone
tyres brakes think had a 4year old one were the rear sub frame was torn out of the chassis on a freelander

you do see some sites

I heard of a 3 year old car with major sub frame rust. It was usually parked on the sea front and the salty air plays havock with metal.

3 year old cars often need lighting alignment - the new vehicle has settled and things need realigning. Hardly a big issue. But - 2 year testing - NO