'03 307 2.0ltr

Big Ord

Wrench Pro
Car
Honda Civic CDTi
I've been getting this problem for a while now, usually when the engine is cold or has been sitting for a day or so.

Very ocassionally the engine will not start first time (not the problem but might be related). Anyway, in the circumstances mentioned above when I start the engine and try to move away its ok up to about 2000rpm then it looses all power and a few seconds later (foot still on the accelerator) it will shoot into life again and fly off.

Can anyone shine a light on this?

Thanks for the reply.

No not since this started happening.

Last night I was changing the pads so just out of interest I took the top of the throttle body to have a look at the butterfly valve and the underneath of the valve and the walls of the pipe below it where covered in a thin wet jet black oil-type coating, which raised my eye brow. Is that normal?

yes its normal - due to the exhaust gas recirculation - but its not that good for the engine.
its worth taking off and giving it a clean with carb cleaner or petrol. if it has electronic thottle make sure you dont disturbe the stepper motor.

give it a clean and if it doesnt make any difference a scan might be an idea - esp if it can read the sensors as well as the errors

egr's really can hamper peformance over a period of time, if it is possible to disconnect it and get it mapped out then I would do so, so your engine intake manifold will stay as clean as possible

I must admit when I was reading up about them it seemed really backwards to be putting dirty exhaust gas back to the cyclinder, albeit a very small percentage.

Surely most tuners and even performance factory cars must get rid of them!?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back