Your fav. most reliable turbo engine?

Frander

Car
Toyota Starlet T
Hi, I was thinking, what is your favourite most reliable Toyota engine, that you've had experiences with?

I am asking because I will maybe soon be studying automotive technology, and will also consider getting a Toyota, nothing expensive but cheap and fun. I've had a Toyota Starlet from '88 with a turbo diesel engine and that car drove really well, never had problems with it.

I was thinking of getting a starlet again, but the latest model, and maybe fitting a 4efte or something similar, but never had any experiences with it.

Also, would it be possible to have a boost controller along with a map on the ECU to "turn off" the turbo and drive more economically for daily drive? Or would that not work out seeing as a higher compression would be required?

Greetings and Welcome to TorqueCars My Friend! :)

I cannot answer your question directly, but I am sure someone will be along in a while who may be able to help you! Good luck :)

Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
Hope you enjoy your time with us.

You wouldn't need to turn the turbo off as generally turbo cars would be more economical than the na equivalent if drove sensibly.
Toyota Starlet Turbo's are something to think about but i'm unsure how reliable they are etc.

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

Oh right I had completely forgotten about that turbonutter69, well I guess I'd just be running a low boost for daily drive then :) -and hopefully be mapping it myself

Here in Denmark cars are sadly very expensive because of taxes and whatnot, so I really don't think there's many other cars that can be as fast and cheap as a starlet or a corolla or something. Besides, never heard of a n/a toyota engine that had serious engine problems, but that doesn't neccesarily mean the same applies for their forced induction engines I guess. :)

The twin turbo Supra is pretty much bullet proof and capable of massive power gains so that would be my favourite Toyota engine.

but why only Toyotas as that makes the answer more than obvious . As waynne said it can only be 1JZ

Well, supras are very expensive where I live, but yeah that's pretty much my dream car anyway, but I'll have to stick with something that doesn't cost the same as a house ;) hehe

SLEEPER do you have a suggestion on a different, cheap, fast and reliable car/engine(not imported in Denmark)? I'd be happy to hear your opinion on other makes if the rules allow that :)

Last edited:
well your title said best turbo engine not cheap fast and relaible . Unfortunately the last two dont go with the first.
Also your idea of fast/cheap/relaible probably wont be the same as mine so Im afraid my suggestions wouldnt be any cheaper

Just buy a Starlet GT or Glanza. Or use one of those engines. Notoriously unreliable engines and gearboxes once the power is upped so leave it fairly standard or be prepared for trouble.

Glanza's already have a high/low boost switch, not too sure about GT's. However depending on which boost controller you can turn it off and run actuator pressure, but nothing below that.