Women drivers

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The arguement goes like this:-

Men have few big expensive accidents but women have lots of little inexpensive accidents?

Do you buy into this arguement? Are women such bad drivers or do they get a bad press? Are men really better drivers?

I'd be interested to hear the ladys comments as well as the guys. Let's keep it to facts as well rather than stereotypes? Perhaps we might debunk a myth here.;)

I'm abit bias on this 1. As most women drivers are shaky nervous drivers and that in my opinion is why they have silly accidents. But on the other hand women can be good drivers. Think Sabine or Vicky Butler Henderson they are both great drivers. So I think it's a mix and down to individuality. It's how confident you are behind the wheel....

What about the assertion that because men 'always' talk women drivers down it creates a lot of the nervousness? Or is this just a totally unfair stereotype?

My wife for example is a better driver than me. She can maintain a steady 70mph wheras I flow and ebb either side of it. She also drives in a very smooth and fluid manner and reacts quickly to the changing conditions of the road plus she has a great sense of direction!

I think personally everybody is each to there own so everone has a different driving style and some people feel more comfortable than others when driving. Like my mum would take 10 mins before she set off if she was in a unfamiliar car. Where as I would jump in adjust the seat an set off......

Last edited by a moderator:
I think personally everybody is each to there own so everone has a different driving style and some people feel more comfortable than others when driving. Like my mum would take 10 mins before she set off if she was in a unfamiliar car. Where as I would jump in adjust the seat an set off......

That's the difference in a nutshell. Your Mum takes her time to familiarise herself with the car whereas most men just assume they know where everything is and charge off! Doesn't make her a worse driver or men better. There's confidence and arrogance, the latter being a trait found in far more men than women.

Women have small shunts mainly due to impatient men hitting them! There are very few crashes involving only women, which tells you something.

If men were to drive like women the death and serious injury toll would plummet, but what would we do with all that spare testosterone? :smile:

womens accidents are little tips
mens accidents are horrific

but its women why men have such nasty accidents, this isnt the case all the time, but a high percentage of it is, its why women have cheaper insurance

womens crash = 1500 euros damage
mens crash = right off cars, deaths, etc etc

well at the minute the facts are right women have the little accidents, men have the big nasty accidents on average but this is going to change within the next 10+ years imo cause

1, more women will be on the road i have no official figures but can say there are more men drivers than women at the moment this will even thing out a little

2, as the roads get more busy men will start having more smaller crashes instead of big 1's (less room on the road for it)

3, more women are getting interested in the modding there cars increasing there cars performance and driving faster (more bigger accidents for them)

4, women are getting more aggressive in there driving style (yet again more bigger accidents for them)

so imho in 10+ years time women will be just as bad as men for bigger accidents and men will be having more of the smaller bumps so the stats should even out a little more

So can someone tell me where it says that men have worst accidents? I disagree somewhat. I personally have seen a women driver crash which resulted in not only the death of herself but also 1 of her children it was horrific. So I strongly disagree that men and women have different accidents as it depends on the road and cercumstances at the time of the incident....

I'm a woman, and would say I'm an ok driver, better at general driving, rather than reversing and parking. Had a rather bad scraping incident with a wall, but damage wasn't overly bad.

So can someone tell me where it says that men have worst accidents? I disagree somewhat. I personally have seen a women driver crash which resulted in not only the death of herself but also 1 of her children it was horrific. So I strongly disagree that men and women have different accidents as it depends on the road and cercumstances at the time of the incident....

mate i think you are missing the point these are statistics (from what source i have no idea) that insurance companys use to validate women getting cheaper insurance and it has to be true otherwise they would not give cheaper insurance for no reason would they

mate i think you are missing the point these are statistics (from what source i have no idea) that insurance companys use to validate women getting cheaper insurance and it has to be true otherwise they would not give cheaper insurance for no reason would they

But isn't that only in young drivers that women get cheap insurance... I still disagree. I also do disagree with that insurance policy for women.. It's descrimination if you ask me. Women get into as many bad accidents as men do....Fact. It's just we as men are peanalised for it more.

I'm a woman, and would say I'm an ok driver, better at general driving, rather than reversing and parking. Had a rather bad scraping incident with a wall, but damage wasn't overly bad.

no offence here but you fall perfectly into the small accidents bracket cheaper than what the average man would have done (he would have probably wrote the car of crashed through the wall and hit the house)

Yes I have had a few small minor incidents, but nothing major.
So yes i suppose i do fall into that category. Yet my friend who is a girl rolled her bmw twice the other week, so what category does she fall in?

Insurance companies have nothing other to steer them than accident statistics. So they're probably correct in the way that insurance premium prices are assigned. Whether it's fair or not is a different discussion. THey all want your business and your money so they're not going to load premiums artificially.

Yes I have had a few small minor incidents, but nothing major.
So yes i suppose i do fall into that category. Yet my friend who is a girl rolled her bmw twice the other week, so what category does she fall in?

your mate is falling in to 1 of 2 categories i posted earlier at a guess

3, more women are getting interested in the modding there cars increasing there cars performance and driving faster (more bigger accidents for them)

4, women are getting more aggressive in there driving style (yet again more bigger accidents for them)

correct me if im wrong ?????

your mate is falling in to 1 of 2 categories i posted earlier at a guess

correct me if im wrong ?????

I don't drive agressively lol, I drive to arrive alive! She skidded on black ice so it could happen to anyone.

WOW! BIG DEBATE! Heres a curve ball then. Does the difference between men and women drivers decrease with age then?

I think we need to ask an insurance company what their stats really say. We might find that women tend to not bother claiming wheras blokes will claim for everything.;)

Good point Waynne... because nobody claims for the small scrapes and such, but if we added all of them up.. I am sure that they would add up to equal / if not more than a BIG crash :)

yip the driver should be paying attention, granted if a tree falls over thats not the drivers error unless s/he comes flying round a blind corner and straight into it then its their fault as they fast for the road, in this case the blind corner

id say im a better driver than the wife however shes more cautious.

id say i react quicker than her and look as far ahead as i can rather than a couple of cars however i keep my speed up if i think i can.

shes more cautious as less likely to overtake more than 1 car at a time (very long straights around here) quite often drives around 65-70 on the motorway at night

its a hard thing to discribe much like customising and modding ;)

Reaction time isn't everything. Observation, perception and anticipation play bigger roles in determining whether a driver is safe or not.

The biggest player, by far, though, is this:

ATTITUDE

Yes, you saw it here first

I'd say now this is switching side of a stereotyping: man becoming bad drivers, women being careful drivers, all i gotta say, it's up to the person, no matter the gender.