Will it bottom out??

kylevw

Wrench Pro
Car
vw polo mk4 1.6cl
hey,
I'm wanting to lower my 6n by 40mm front and rear using just lowering springs, but I'm wondering if it will bottom out on standard shocks? any help please.

I'd imagine you'd be fine on 40mm springs. I know of plenty of people running -60mm springs on standard shocks with no real issues (apart from w*ank handling). Just don't be suprised if your shocks die more quickly.

Hi, if you are interested, i have a complete set of lowered springs (40mm allround) for a mk4, purchased from German and swedish at a retail price of £56 inc. vat. I used these for a week before changing to coilovers. I found the ride to be ok with standard shocks, but nothing like the original ride quality. I'm selling these at £45. If you decide to go with coilovers, make sure they're quality.... Jamex ones aren't good enough. It all depends on budget....

or8 cheers mate but i think il wait and save up for some coil overs which make do you recommend ??

I have Jamex collies and at £226, from STS in slough, they aren't too bad... a bit head nodding and a bit squeaky.... I've been told Spax SRX (£620) are good, Eibach and Weitec are also worth checking out... as mentioned previously, it depends on your budget...

Don't forget that lowering a car completely alters the geometry of the suspension. In most cases, unless it can be compensated for, you will end up with adverse negative camber. Even with coil overs and the ability to adjust camber from the top, quite often it's not enough to align the rear correctly unless other parts like adjustable rear arms are fitted.
Some cars can be fitted with adjustable bolts which can help, these are a snail cam design and allow for further movement at the strut lower mounting point.

Wise words from CB, I have just had adjustable coil overs fitted and was advised to have my geometry checked/adjusted by fellow members in the know here on the forum, and just as well that I did! because in a few months time I could have been looking at some very noticeable wear and tear on the outer tread of my very expensive tyres according to the computer readout! :(

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back