what more can be done, I wonder?

boostnturbos

Torque Junkie
Car
BMW 318ci SE
I'v got myself a 406 2.0hdi with around 117,000 on the clock. I got her re-mapd bout a year ago to 125bhp (give r take a few donkeys) bt i want more. She pretty much standred after that bar a 3" ss line. Was thinking on a 2.2 turbo bt dont know wether dhat wuold do the trick?
Any help would be greatly appreciated in my quest for a whip ass 406:bigsmile:
Thanks.

Re: what more can be done, I wunder?

Get a 2.2 HDi. Mine went to 192bhp and over 320lbft with a remap alone. I didn't bother with any other mods.

The 2.2HDi engine is very different to the 2.0HDi and offers more scope for re-mapping.

They also only come in the higher spec models so if you want to go removing excess weight there's a lot of excess you can remove. I didn't bother with this either.

Performance was good with 0-62mph around 7 seconds. In gear acceleration was unbelieveable 30-50 under 3 seconds in 3rd gear.

Last edited:

i wunder if the 2.2 engine would fit in my engine bay, its only iv become vry fond of my lady, shes well lookd after. Iv wrote her off once already, got her repaired perfectly and even with that i cant find a 2.2 in as gud o nick as my car. Plus i cant get insured in a 2.2 for some unknown reason, they refuse to quote me.

over here its all about whippn the bora's n golfs way 150bhp+ n i fancy doing that in my lady. Plus wen a do whip them av a truck air horn mountd dwn the back that makes sure they know.

But in al saying that i can swap the horn about into the coupe, if i had 1 n whip them way her. whats the best option?

My 406 was an 02 year saloon but the Coupe was built as a 2.2HDi (also as a 3 litre V6) so it will definitely fit.

The engine code for the 2.2 HDi 16 is DW12TED4.

Don't be surprised though to find remapped Golf TDi PD 150s whipping your ass as well.

They're a good bit lighter and will map to over 205bhp.

If you can't get a quote for a straight 2.2 thenthere's no way they'll cover you in a modified car. You MUST tell your insurer everything otherwise your policy is worth bugger all.

Last edited:

aye thats true bout the insurance. an only 21 so hopfully the insurance sinarieo will change in a few yrs mybe.

yeah a no the golfs r hard to beat, a friend of mines has a mk4 out to 250bhp n nothing short of a skyline is wat it takes to shift her.

i wouldnt mind trying a 2.8 boxer turbo on my own engine before id comit to buying aother car, wolud that envn make a difference?

Does your car have an intercooler?

(The HDi 90 didn't, the HDi 110 did).

If not then don't bother 125bhp is the most you'll get.

I'm not even sure if the turbos are that different - the DW12 uses a Garrett T3 with variable vane geometry. You'll have to check with a mechanic and I am not one of those.

naw shes a 90, av got al my gettings then. thanks lad luv the help. new car it is then. You said you got 190+ outa ur wagon just by remaping alone?

i do stainless steel exhausts on cars, tractors, lorries etc do you back pressure on a turbo diesel r will it make any difference?

Not enough to get you the power you're after.

Bear in mind that the 2.2HDi is 136bhp as standard.

It does have an intercooler and is a 16 valve design. The turbo is a variable geometry type. The injectors are different and operate at higher pressure than those in the 2.0 engines, there is an oil/water heat exchanger as standard. The cooling system is bigger and the oilways include little jets that spray to unerside of the pistons for additional cooling. This is all standard. It's what I meant about radically diferent engines.

Genuinely, I really would suggest finding a 2.2 car and buying it outright.