Types of Paints

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I will be spraying my car, eventually, and am in a quandary as to which type of paint to use. By which type, I mean cellulose, water based, two pack, etc.

Can anyone out there put together an idiot's guide to the pros and cons of the various types?

My dad used to do alot of resprays and I can remember he always used Two Pack. He always said it was the best formula. Although it is very harmful if inhaled and needs proper ventalation when being applied. I'll see what other info I can dig up for ya. Ask Timmy from Brieley coachworks i'm sure he'd be happy to help you understand.

If you havn't got an enclosed work area and proper breathing gear DO NOT touch 2 pack !!! 2 pack paint will give you a better finish and the paint itself is more durable than cellulose etc... However, unlike cellulose and water based paints 2pack remains solid from the gun where as the others disappear in a fine mist. This means 2 things: firstly if you are spraying outside the overspray will go like a cobweb and wherever it lands it will stick and harden, I'm not sure that neighbours would be happy if it landed on their cars etc. Secondly, if you inhale 2pack it will go straight to your lungs where after a short period of time it will harden with potentially fatal consequences !!!!!!!!!!!! Personally I have resprayed 3 cars, all have been sprayed outside in the open on a warm sunny day with a cellulose type paint and all have looked stunning afterwards. I would advise that you get a good base coat in your chosen colour and then a quality laquer to go over the top. If you're luckier than I and can spray undercover you won't have the problems of insects appearing from every corner of the earth trying to spoil your newly applied paint. Good luck with whichever way you choose to go, am always willing to answer any questions you may have. Whichever paint you go for the final result will always be down to the preperation you put in, not the paint you use.