Turbocharging a 1990 Nissan Sentra Coupe

provost

Car
1990 nissan sentra
Hello,

Just joined the forum to get some instruction on tuning my sentra.

I just bought a turbo kit, and well I'm wondering where to start. I don't have much experience mechanically, but I am willing to learn how to install and tune the engine for the kit. I understand there are some things I should do before installing the kit, to ensure the engine doesn't get destroyed because of the turbo. Wondering where to basically start. I have the car, and I have the turbo kit

mmmm turbos on Nissans :bigsmile:

What nissan engine If its 89/90 should be the 1.6 GA16i (shoc) unless its jap spec which were a bit better power wise

Main issue will be heat. turbos produce a lot

Fittong a metal headgasket is always a good start and check the compression ratio. some nissans are high comp and this and turbos dont really go well together .

Thank you for your reply, how to I check the compression ratio? I have both chilton and haines car manuals if that helps.

Hello and welcome to the site mate

you get a compression testing tool.

they screw into the spark plug and turn the engine over while reading.
just remember and take the fuse out for the fuel pump 1st

Thank you for your reply, how to I check the compression ratio? I have both chilton and haines car manuals if that helps.
You should be able to find it from any spec sheet there is on the car
google?

i do know some of the sentra engines compression ratios were over 10 - 1 which would be too high for a turbo I think,

It's still quite high for a turbo application. With water injection you might get away with it if you use high octane pump fuel as well as going with a lower boost setting.

Alternatively use a stroker kit/low compression pistons to lower the CR.

I like the idea of using water injection to keep from detonating the engine. I live in a cold climate, and water could freeze. Therefore I would need to use a water/methanol mixture. I need to stay within my budget though. How much should I spend on this, is this very expensive to accomplish?

Have a look online at available kits. The good ones have an engine cut out if the water level drops, the bad ones will just run out of water and deonation will occur.

As an interesting side note Audi get round the problem of high compression ratios with their FSI direct injection of the fuel, as it goes into the cylinder quite late on it cools the air charge and minimises the risk of detonation.

All in a turbo conversion will set you back between $3000 and $6000 (us prices). If you get used parts the cost is somewhat lower but it is a very big and complicated job.

No Low just compression pistons would work fine but a larger engine will spool up the turbo far quicker
You could also look at changing the head

what would changing the head do? I just want to attach the turbo without blowing my engine.

what would changing the head do? I just want to attach the turbo without blowing my engine.

It really isnt that simple Im afraid .

If you have a high compression engine swopping the head can solve the problem which I thought was the paln.

Yes sir high compression is the problem. So what kind of head should i swap it with.