Torque

nig

Torque Junkie
Car
rover 200 1.4si ish
If you lose weight from a fly wheel you lose some torque what if i added the same weight again ie the flywheel say now @20kg would that help in torque ie pulling away in a higher gear allthough not so responcive on the rev's

As I see it, if you increase the weight the engine won't spin up as quick, also adding weight to the flywheel may well add strain on the other components with possibly exciting results! :amuse:

A lighter flywheel means the engine has less effort to turn it when changing speed so power and torque are actually higher with a lighter flywheel. However the engine will also slow up more quickly and lose revs more quickly as a result.

But would this help it pull away quicker as got more momentum ie knitic energy ?

No wrong way around. A LIGHTER flywheel will help you pull away more quickly because less force is required to turn it, a heavier flywheel is more beneficial when cruising along at a steady speed because of the momentum it carries,

No wrong way around. A LIGHTER flywheel will help you pull away more quickly because less force is required to turn it, a heavier flywheel is more beneficial when cruising along at a steady speed because of the momentum it carries,

Heavy flywheels are often used on cars built for drag racing. The extra weight reduces the chance of stalling the engine on the start line as the stored energy wthin the flywheel helps to keep the engine turning. It also reduces RPM loss during gear changes.

so if im pulling away in say 3rd gear would it not be best for a heaver one ?

4 strokes as such have higher starting torque due to the fly wheel, so if you increase the
weight, you increase the pulling ( just at clutch release ).

If using that type of clutch and have a heavy flywheel, the clutch will not take long to fall to piece as there is more weight for the force of the clutch to move and there for even a centrefugal will slip if the weight is too great. But to give you an idea of what a light weight did to my car, was it increased the 0-60 by over 0.7 seconds which for a £350 upgrade isn't bad at all. The revs fly up now which on a V6 torquey engines is mad lol.

If using that type of clutch and have a heavy flywheel, the clutch will not take long to fall to piece as there is more weight for the force of the clutch to move and there for even a centrefugal will slip if the weight is too great. But to give you an idea of what a light weight did to my car, was it increased the 0-60 by over 0.7 seconds which for a £350 upgrade isn't bad at all. The revs fly up now which on a V6 torquey engines is mad lol.

Will lose some off flywheel 2kg' max.but 0.7 im inpressed, do love torquey engines so i can imagen so. got diff down from 7.9kg's to 3.8kg's as it all helps.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back