The Rat Look

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
The Rat look has taken hold of the modding scene this year with more an more "Rat Style" rides at shows and cruises etc. But what do you think about it? Would you sand down your bonnet for it to rust? I know I wouldn't. But come on peeps whats your thought's on "RAT RIDES"? Here's one for you to have a look at..

I really don't see the point unless you are one of those dirty disgusting lowlifes that they feature in 'The Life of Grime' :confused:

That is what it reminds me off, just plain lazy and student like!

Where's the pride in owning one of those?

Perhaps I am getting old or just a pedantic engineer :lol:

I really don't see the point unless you are one of those dirty disgusting lowlifes that they feature in 'The Life of Grime' :confused:

I must be getting old too cause I don't see the point iin it either. I try to get rust away and keep it away not encourage my car to rust thats insane....

When done right there is certainly a niche for it.

The only Rat look I like is the Old VW campervan or Beetle but it MUST have a souped up Porsche engine and stunning performance. This has to be the ultimate sleeper.

Taking a "modern" car and applying the rat look is not right to my eye.

One interesting trend is to just rat the bonnet. They sand it off, let it rust and then apply a lacquer coat to seal it all in. This is quite Sceney but looks shall I say interesting on the right car.

I remember seeing a chap's drag car Beetle for years in Custom Car magazine. Eventually I got up close to it in real life at Santa Pod and I felt a bit disappointed that the rust was judiciously applied paint and in fact the body was in good condition. I don't suppose he wants his car coming apart though - and what engineer or mechanic would drive something that has become unsound?

The fully rusted Golfs in the picture have gone beyond the more trafitional 'Rat Look', probably in an effort to outdo others. Genuine Rat Look is an acquired taste, but the MkIIs have gone beyond that.

Last edited:
That was at trax this year too, I've always liked rat bikes for years & there's a drag car up the road from me that looks like a proper piece of rubbish but is a actually very capable machine. I like sleepers but I think the rat look takes it a little too far for me. :amuse:

The only "rat" rides i like are the RatRods. normally done from a kit or a custom job on an old roadster. hardly ever more than 2 seats and more engin the car (most of the time there isn't a hood or anything between the driver and the grill)

The only "rat" rides i like are the RatRods. normally done from a kit or a custom job on an old roadster. hardly ever more than 2 seats and more engin the car (most of the time there isn't a hood or anything between the driver and the grill)
i like jimmy shines ratrod
jimmy_shine.jpg

i know hes changed it now but i still like it

i like the rat look its real origional,its suits golfs very well and if you cant see that well then it comes down to how well you can spot small details,its all about being subltle and giving it the whole "lying up for twenty years in a forest" look

i agree i would not show my face in a car that no matter how fast it is, to me speed isnt everything i like how a car looks than how loud it sounds, or how fast it goes, im all for performance, but for me its not the be all and end all

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back