Problems with Saab 93 1.9TDI 6 Speed box manual

ianj59

Car
Saab 93 1.9TDi
Hi, new to he site and wondering if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.

Just bought a 58 plate Saab 93 120 TDi with a manual 6 speed box with 12 months warranty done 68000 miles full service history.

Encountered a weird problem today. Gears 1-4 OK not too difficult and quite smooth. Went in to 5th and then 6th and all OK until I came to an island...I went down the box 5-4-3 OK.

When I then pulled away in 1st - it was in reverse and I HAD.NT pushed up the reverse notch.....then driving along slowly seemed 1st was 3rd,2nd was 4th,3rd was 5th...

Pulled over let the car cool down and drove home NO PROBLEMS at all keeping it in 1-4th gear....

I have read many issues re Saab/GM 6 speed box - any suggestions what the problem might be....although under warranty to a non Saab dealership is it best to get saab dealer to check it out?

Thanks in anticipation for any help

Sounds like part of the selector linkage is on its way out. Shouldn't be too hard to fix - it's all mechanical. Any garage should be able to sort it out.

Is the clutch action OK?

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

I believe Saab have an issue with the 6 speed box, I think there is a kit that can be bought to cure this problem. Also you will need to change the oil to something more suitable. I will see if I can find out where you need to go for the kit. In the meantime you could try eBay as I think a trader or two on there will sell what you are looking for.

Thank you both for your replies MUCH appreciated.

It does seem like a linkage problem and I'm guessing going in to 5th/6th exacerbated it....I will drop it back in to the Garage where I bought it and see what they say about it...

One other thing I forgot to mention - there was a small amount of smoke - came up from underneath passenger side when I pulled over - no leakage of any fluid under the car of in engine compartment though and when I drove home it did not re-appear....all fluids had been topped up at a pre sales service so I had assumed may have been an overfill???

will keep you posted and thanks again!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back