Performance air filters???

dotdot8692

Tuner
Car
Fiat Punto 1.2 SX60
If i were to get a performance air filter to replace my standard one keeping the original air box, would it improve the performance at all?

(this is not a induction kit it is just the a performance air filter to replace the standard one, if you understand me?)

Mark.

yes thats the one i couldnt get the word.. about how much would it increase the performance by?

Also would it make the engine louder at all?

Shouldn't really make it any louder or give that much more Bhp if any. It will however let your engine breath a little better and that in turn will help thottle response. You'll feel it's a bit quicker but mainly you'll get better throttle response.

The drop in panel replacement filters don't really offer much in terms of performance or economy.

I looked at these and decided that the manufacturer OEM paper ones were so cheap that I could just replace it every 10,000 miles or so rather than bugger about cleaning and oiling the high performance ones regularly.

Are the OEM papers ones good quality or are they just like the standard ones?

Also how much are they? and where would i be able to get them from?

Last edited:
The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) ones are the standard ones. Most autopart stores stock them and obviously the main dealers as well.

it also depends on what litre car you have aswell.

and how is that then? :rolleyes:

The gains will be relative, no matter what size engine.

OEM filters dont flow air as well as an aftermarket panel filter.

the increase in power by replacing the filter alone is minimal, 2bhp if your very lucky, but its a basic starting point and the more mods you do the more effect the filter will have. ie, an engine with ported and polished head will see more power if its combined with uprated filter.

but if it a small engined car then there is no point i would just drill a couple of holes in to the air box. but if its say a 2.0 litre then you might see a differance

2.0 litre is not exactly large either really. Most OEM systems are set up to work pretty well and breathe adequately with standard engines.

It's not like the old days when the air filter was a donut thing that went aound the single SU varijet carb

I see the point speedy is making though.

A lot has to do with the amount of air being pulled into the engine. As a general rule larger engines suck more air but a high revving small capacity engine can pull similar amounts of air to a low rpm 2.0 engine.

The OEM filters are much much bigger than the aperture they feed into, so are not as restrictive as people might think. Panel filters improve this at the cost of filtration and induction kits add a nice sound and risk pulling in warm air from the engine bay.

It's all to do with the amount of air pulled in. When you think about the X sectional area of a 3" pipe and then contrast to the area of a panel filter mwhich is maybe 10"x14" there's not a lot to worry about.

on an otherwise standard engine you won't see a big power gain if any - they sound good though.

What they do is flow better and filter the crud out the air better so when you start upgrading the engine they protect it and won't become a restriction when more air than standard is required.

The induction kits depending on the car can also remove bottlenecks from the o/e setup and the better ones also relocate the filter to get a better supply of cold air to the engine.