Induction Modifications

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
Try browsing the net for an induction kit for the 160SR, and you will be barraged by kits for the 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4.

Seriously? COME ON! Even went on pipercross' website (on fast road page) and all they offer for the vipercross kit is a 1.0! A 1.0 fast road car.

I'm at the end of my wick with it - kits like this have no place on these engines. I know mine's only a 1.6 but there it is a lot more beneficial and actually does offer better performance (up to 10 bhp) and mpg.

Rant over :lol:

Got to correct you here mate;)
But a 1.0 with a turbo can be made to be pretty nippy!
Aswell as the other engines you mention.
And induction kits are only benefitial to bigger bhp cars usually forced induction. And these have to be set up right. With location. Heat shields, cold air feeds!
So personally I would save your money cause I guarantee you wont see the 10 bhp they claim;)

Wasn't just a replacement filter though, and I believe the improvements based on a similar 1.6 engine. I find it annoying that there are so many kits available for these cars that are ridiculous, fine I agree it may help with midrange performance on a 1.0 but why bother? I'm looking at spending £150 on air induction, along with a custom exhaust system costing twice as much.

I want a decent set up for my car, but hate scrolling through equipment that I (personally) see as pointless!!

Wasn't just a replacement filter though, and I believe the improvements based on a similar 1.6 engine. I find it annoying that there are so many kits available for these cars that are ridiculous, fine I agree it may help with midrange performance on a 1.0 but why bother? I'm looking at spending £150 on air induction, along with a custom exhaust system costing twice as much.

I want a decent set up for my car, but hate scrolling through equipment that I (personally) see as pointless!!

Have you tried Demon Tweeks by any chance? they have a whole manner of flexible ducting, polished pipes and filters, for you too create your own bespoke induction kit.

I have T9 man, it wasn't so much because I wanted to buy a direct replacement. Just at the lack of them for higher spec engines of that model. Hey ho, I agree tuning my engine extensively is a waste of cash - although down the line there's an impul supercharger available.

For what I want (160 bhpish) and for what I intend to put in (cash wise) tuning this car will do nicely - and it was free lol

Remember that the car is pretty small and light so even small power increases are really noticable.

looked at these, but fancied fabricating a carbon fibre housing for an inverted filter. Pretty much making it myself to fit perfectly in the minuscule engine bay. Cheers for the heads up though Yugguy

You could just make your own, to me 150... euros or whatever it is over there haha, is not worth an induction kit! You can fab your own up for much much cheaper...

DSCF0122.jpg

Not the best example, but this is what I fabbed up on my car. ignore the wire ties, they are merely there for mocking up to see if the serp belt would hit the piping, and were removed 2 mins after this picture. The pipe, couplers, clamps, filter, metal to make the shield cost maybe 45 bucks total? The hardest part is making the heatshield but if you are handy you could make something as good as these companies that are out to get $$.

As for a 1.0 turbo not being worth upgrading... I'd take the 1.0 turbo over a 1.6 NA anyday. TBH most people would say upgrading a 1.6 is not worth it (this coming from a turbo guy however)

Good luck with whatever choice you make, let us know if you get any noticeable gains!!