How to tune for MPG

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Any tips on tuning a car to improve it's mpg? Which mods will make the most difference to a cars fuel consumption and efficiency?

I'm certainly interested to hear your experiences of how your MPG has been affected by your modifications.

Anything that makes a car breath in or out more will make the consumption go up i.e. air filters, exhaust work etc. But if you want to do some mods and try and keep the consumption as close to original or less as possible is a remap as these can take the power up but make the car run alot more efficiently which sometimes resaults in less fuel being used.

Smaller, lighter wheels will make quite the difference. In fact, any lightening on the car would mean less effort to make it move therefore less fuel needed. As Badger says, good mapping can go a long way to improve mpg, even on a modified or performance vehicle.

There you go then, "proof of the pudding". I bet it had a nice bit of boost aswell hehe.

It went very nicely - a 2006 dyno showed 190bhp at the flywheel, but the 320lbft torque was outstanding and made for effortless acceleration in any gear.

The choice to drive for economy was purely down to how I applied my right toes ;) but that 40mpg average would be easily bettered by someone determined to lean things down with a more conservative driving style.

Hi Waynne im doing some reserch into fuelcat so will let you know when i do.Iv been in contact with the white helmets display team as they are supposed to have used it.

Hi Waynne i did some digging on this fuelcat i spoke to the white helmets display team and they said it does what it says on the tin,they have been useing it for some eight years.Next i got intouch with the company that sell them i told him what i had read from some bloke called pigeon,they are in the process of sueing him for slander ect.I had a long chat with them and he said basicly what it does is refine the fuel so it burns all of the fuel so none is left to carbon up which makes the engine cleaner and less nasties coming out of the back.He said that it is 100% safe to use and will not harm your engine. The bit about the rac/aa doing a test on it is untrue as they dont test products(he has a letter from them saying so).I hope this helps.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back