hello help please !

kayy

Car
r34 GT skyline
hey, well i am kinda new to the modifications on cars, and even car forums or websites.

i've been researching on how to modify your car and what not, as i'm completely car retarted.

i'm wanting to change the paint, add some body kits, improve performance and also change the interior like the dash, seats carpet almost everything.
so that interior and the exterior match, and look decent.
but i have absolutely no idea on where to start i know what color i want for both inside and out.

i want to improve everything down to the wheels, but also keep it p-plater friendly. i would like good quality stuff as much as possible.

feel free to help as i have no idea
thanks.

Whats up buddy welcome to TC and enjoy the ride, stick around teach and be taught. Firstly determine your budget then what's more important performance or styling then decide what the car will be doing ex. daily cruiser or track devil or both then we'll take it from there.

I assume by P-plater, you mean a new driver? I see that you have not bothered with the traditional start small and work up route :)

A modified Skyline in the hands of a new driver? I trust you have an understanding insurance broker :)

justI'd rather do the performance keeping everything maintained and what not before jumping onto the styling so far the car has been well looked after and i wouldn't want to stuff it up rushing things.

I've had the skyline for a while now but I got tired of the look, she is need of a paint job somewhere along the line.

performance and parts wise i would love to get help or advice with as I have absolutely no idea

just no turbo or anything like that otherwise it would be illegal for me to drive it.

I don't want to thrash her just keep her running smoothly, but at it's potential

just a daily cruiser is all

Last edited:
So the ultimate thing to do would be a cold air intake system coupled with a performance filter followed by freeing up air on the outlet by performance outlet manifold, free flow exhaust and a decat pipe or sports cat, followed by a remap of the ECU. That be step one.

okay awesome :) so this will improve the performance?
do you know roughly what it would cost for the parts and fittings?
if that is step one, what would be next ?

thanks again for everything.

Wow couldn't tell ya of the top of my head, but just to get a rough idea search the parts on ebay, as for remaps I couldn't say, still looking for tuners in Queensland. Just a wee bit busy with my own baby, she's developed a knocking sound. As for step 2, phew a long list of expensive things you can do like, more agressive cams, skimming the head to up compression ratio, porting headers, throttle bodies, problem is it's usually very very expensive to increase power on a naturally aspirated engine, you need to be really sure you wanna go there.

okay, yeah true well im fairly happy with the first step as i would more then likely do turbo or something like that when it's legal for me to drive it.

i will have a look around on ebay and hopefully find something :)

whats wrong with your car ?

any tips on where to start with the styling part of it ?

have you modified your car inside and or out ?

Turbo later on ok, but then turbo charging a naturally aspirated engine is also very expensive when done properly, I'd recommend a engine swop, this way you can sell yours and install a engine designed to run with a turbo and if you got the bucks tune it up same time. My car got a horrible knocking sound with no tell tales of where it's coming from. Haven't started work on her yet but as money becomes available it will see some minor mods, first up, coil overs and polyurethane suspension bushes, then maybe sound and interior then some mild power mods. Pics of her in the gallery. Here's link on youtube with the current noise. http://youtu.be/5n2w8m0MMMw.

Styling, again how far how much money,ex, body kit and mags, or wide body kit and extensive body work to fit really big or wide wheels. Paint: colour change pricey, proper custom paint more pricey than plain colour, professional painter or local panel beater. Maybe some sound, leather interior, racing seats or comfy leather ones. You have to decide first, is this a cruiser or a racer or both cause this determines the styling as well. The real question is are you going to race it on a track or not. Or do you want a show and shine car with lots of power. What's more important, handling or comfort. Think about it carefully then go for it. Let me know what you decide.

yeah i want a body kit and some mags i've been looking for ages but havent found anything i really like yet.
i just want like a black hood and like the rest of the body green and more then likely the wing will be black atm the hood roof and boot is black and the rest silver. would love the same theme interior with green and black. Racing seats i definitely want but so hard to find rear but im thinking of keeping the one thats in there and just get the colour changed?
i want her to be quick but she is more my baby, shine car :)
i wont be racing her. would it be better to go to someone who like restores cars to do it or stick with panel beaters or anything ?

i put a new sony head unit in recently and a sub, but just got to get some mid speakers.

i'm just going to use the car as more of a shine car, i dont want to thrash it or race it.

just my daily baby.

Restore people generally much better, the difference is in the finish of the paintwork, it will look like glass, but they will charge an arm a leg and maybe a kidney too. Go an look at the paint finish on a few stock cars and really look carefully, you'll notice it doesn't really look smooth, nothing wrong with it but that's what a panel beater will give you. You decide how far to go.

Bloody Queenslanders!!! :)) Hi there from a New South Welsh man. Mate, I think the best thing you can do is to start with suspension, brakes and steering. Don't worry about what the knobs say about body kits etc. They may look good but they won't improve the fun factor. Build a car that has high corner speeds, lets you brake late into a corner and feels comfortable on rough Aussie roads and you'll have a joy ride. The rest can come later.

There are a number of books available so get some and start studying. You need to look at reducing your unsprung weight, altering your roll centre, centre of gravity, spring and shock rates, wheel diameter and tyre profiles and of course brake pad material.

Lots to learn but a lot of fun learning. But do not just lower the car and do nothing else. There is so much more to suspension than just lowering.

Good luck

If I understand things correctly you have an r34 na skyline

If so it is probably one of the few cars where the handling is miles in front of the engine performance in standard form especially if yours is the 2 litre auto model .

The handling set up should already be up with the best so you really shouldn't really be playing with spring and roll rates , and suspension details (etc) providing the parts are in good condition just leave it that way

The brakes however are a different matter and should be the first upgrade as pretty much all nissans are under braked .
Better brakes make the car much safer and quicker.
Pretty much any skyline brakes should fit without too much work and it isn't a particually difficult job.
Most importantly if you want tuning or modding advice is accurate detail of you car - Is yours a 2 litre and is it auto , tiptronic or manual ?

Last edited:
Belated Hi and welcome from another Skyline owner. Sorry don't get onto this forum very often. As Sleeper says, need to know exactly what version/running gear you have then we can advise on options. Nice car to have as a daily though :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back