Hello from the rainy North West!

Car
G'day all! ;)

Been a 'lurker' for some time, and thought I'd finally bite the bullet and join.

I have a strange fascination with British cars, I do all repair and restoration work myself and just generally enjoy anything remotely oily. :love:

Bit of a boring car history, but who cares eh. :amuse:

First car - 1997 Ford Fiesta diesel.

Total abomination of a car in every sense, and was finally glad to get rid after £1,100 in repair bills after 11 months due to repeated clutch and brake issues.

Second car - 1997 Rover 416i.

ABCD0008-1.jpg

My first British car, a lovely motor for the £600 I paid. Base spec plus A/C, but surprisingly comfy on long distances and incredibly reliable.
A couple of months in, I came by some Piper Fast Road cams with pulleys incredibly cheap on the Bay of E. They made quite a bit of difference!
After 10 months we parted ways, as I was doing increasing mileage and picked up...

Third car - 1999 Rover 420 iXLD

n516788995_1374372_9885.jpg

Probably the best car I've owned. Faultlessly reliable, A/C, 4 electric windows, plus electric mirrors and other bits and bobs.
It's factory 105bhp was a little 'limp', so with a few choice modifications I managed a dyno run at just over 130bhp, and an extra 60ft/lb of torque.
I then became single again, and fancied a 'silly' car to own over summer.
Resulting in...

Fourth car - 1999 Rover 620ti

DSCN2218-1.jpg

Absolutely mental amounts of power and acceleration for a 'old man's car', this is the one car I'll always regret selling.
The clutch release arm did shear, meaning I had to spend a week in August taking the gearbox off, but boy was it worth it. It needed a new clutch anyway, and a nice new Valeo unit improved the clutch feel immensely.
200bhp combined with a TorSen LSD in a saloon weighing in at around 1300kg meant you couldn't half have some fun.
A Mongoose exhaust and a Forge dump valve meant it's bark was as good as it's bite!
People give these a bad reputation for being unreliable - apart from a few niggles and the release arm it was good, and at 140,000 bits were bound to go wrong.
I did buy this car back a few months later, as the new owner couldn't deal with little things going wrong (window, coolant hose, air con fault) so I got it back just to take to Germany for a 'Ring trip.
As fuel prices went potty, I then decided I'd like some economy combined with great handling, so picked up my next car from a 'dodgy' dealer in Stoke on Trent.

Fifth car - 2003 MG ZS+ TD

IMG_0049.jpg

Unusually well specced for a ZS, I still own this car. It left the factory with 99 little ponies, although you could always tell there were plenty more trying to buck their way out of the stable down the road. ;)
With some pretty heavy modification, this car now stands at around 155bhp and 280lb/ft of torque. Quite a lot when the car comes in at 1200kg, the amount of acceleration is silly for an oil burner!
Unfortunately 26psi of boost has given me head trouble, so it's currently sat in my garden awaiting head removal and replacement. A small price to pay for the fun it's given me, and at 120,000 miles it's due for a rest.
I've put the head failure down to an issue which started when the car's cooling system froze last year - a very small leak of water started from one of the injector ports in the head. This is probably due to a crack caused by the freezing (remember kids, use antifreeze!). This has progressively got worse, and now it's breached the combustion chamber causing the cooling system to pressurize.
While the head is off, it's also time to change cambelt and tensioners, plus the fuel pump injection belt and a few other bits and pieces.

Modifications:
Powerflow Stainless Steel exhaust (catback)
SDi high-flow injectors
Decat
Boost set to 19-26psi (adjustable)
K&N Panel filter
GBE Evo boost controller
A few polybushes, here and there. :)

Sixth car - 1997 Rover 416i Shed Edition

400.jpg

Temporary replacement while I sort the ZS, due to the work it's getting. Handy to be able to drive around collecting parts etc ;)
£257 so what can I expect, but the A/C works and it's pretty quick for a 1.6.
Racked up 90,000 on it's first head gasket, so think this must be one of the few that didn't fail.

Sorry for boring you, if you need any MG Rover related help, you know where I am. :bigsmile:

Howdo mate. I'm a Preston lad too, grew up on Greenlands estate in Ribbleton. I've had a 216Gsi and a ZS180. 216, quick for its time in the mid 90-s, and the ZS, cracking car to drive. Your 620ti sounds superb, proper sleeper.

Yugguy, I'm only in Ashton so up the road. :cheesy:

I do wish I'd never sold it, it was mint and even though it has over 150,000 miles on it now, everything still works.

Ice cold air con, tunes on, nice 'brisk' cruise down the M6 and M5 to Devon... those were the days.

Cheers for the welcome guys :)

Yeah the 620ti was pretty lively. Don't go bonkers with tuning though, that O-series unit is generally said to be OK for about 200bhp but after that localised overheating can become an issue.

I used an 800 Vitesse Sport for a couple of months in 1996. It could be a bit of a handful in the wet to be honest but the performance wasn't bad at all.

Anyway - welcome to torque cars.

Welcome, recognise the name.

The 620ti uses the T-series engine and had 197bhp as standard and if built using the right parts 400bhp is possible, assuming you have a well paid job and still living with your parents!

Yeah the 620ti was pretty lively. Don't go bonkers with tuning though, that O-series unit is generally said to be OK for about 200bhp but after that localised overheating can become an issue.

I used an 800 Vitesse Sport for a couple of months in 1996. It could be a bit of a handful in the wet to be honest but the performance wasn't bad at all.

Anyway - welcome to torque cars.

As Stamford has said the Ti uses Rovers T16 unit. ;)
It's the turbo's on them that are only rated to 200bhp.

As Stamford has said the Ti uses Rovers T16 unit. ;)
It's the turbo's on them that are only rated to 200bhp.

We have a member on the ZS forum who has built a stunning T16 ZS, no expense spared and is specc'd to get near 400bhp and he's fitting nitrous! There's quite a few other members already running T16 ZS's and is becoming a popular conversion due to gains vs costs and that's including some of the KV6 guys as well.

Yeah it is a popular conversion these days.
The older version bottom end is the best to go for and then mate it to the newer version top end with Wasted spark ignition instead of the old distrib.

Is a good engine if looked after well enough. Plus they'll keep up with Saff Cossie's all day long. Can bag a good un for around a grand. Bargain if you ask me.

From what I gather the Torsen diffs were fitted to the 620ti as mentioned and also the BRM, 200 Coupe turbo 220 turbo, 420 turbo and one of the 800 Vitesse turbo models. Finding them in one piece is one thing, getting them refitted with steel caged bearings is also the first mod to do.

Hi there and may I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do.

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"!

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

From what I gather the Torsen diffs were fitted to the 620ti as mentioned and also the BRM, 200 Coupe turbo 220 turbo, 420 turbo and one of the 800 Vitesse turbo models. Finding them in one piece is one thing, getting them refitted with steel caged bearings is also the first mod to do.

Yup they do tend to chew the diffs when abused. They run some good torque figures.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back