Few questions on my new a3 :D

emery1990

Tuner
Car
A3 1.8T quattro
  1. What is the easiest way for weight loss ( i do not want to take out seats etc) i was thinking new lighter alloys would get me the best results as i would think there rather heavy. I'm asking as i would like to get it down nearer the 1.8t weight. ive got the quattro which is about 150kg heavier !
  2. Ive hear alot about changing the inlet pipe? as it has some sharp angles on it which hinders the engine.
  3. what is the pros and cons of induction kits/ cone filters etc. and which one would be best suited
  4. whats a switchable remap.
    And 5, heard a bit about getting brake upgrades as the pre 2003 a3's a quite weak for how much power they have to stop, plus would like a remap, so would definatly need one if thats the case
Help if you can please :amuse:

Last edited:
1. ditch the spare wheel and buy some tyre weld. thatll save a little. theres also alot of sound deadening in these cars. that should remove a few kgs. rear seats, are they needed ? if not in the garage they go.

500x333.aspx

LHS is the forge aftermarket one. RHS is te stock one - see the bend on the metal where the pipe connects to the turbo. this is sharp corner and also squashed.

3. personal choice - even the best kits only add around 8bhp. using the diagnostic port to record the torque i got around 6bhp from fitting the air ducting, and snorkel to the standard air box along with a clean OEM filter. so might gain a little on with an aftermarket one.

4. explained this in your other thread. theres 2 maps loaded on to the ECU - IIRC the ECU can hold 4 maps. these can be switched in different manners, serial switch for the diagnostic port, button presses on the cruise control etc. to swap its switch ignition on - engine off, change map, key out wait 10-30 seconds then start the car. maps cant be changed on the fly. As said not really required on a diesel, just use your right foot more wisely.

5. see how you feel about the brakes when you get it, you may find they are good enough until the discs are getting worn.

312 mm setup will cost around £250 by the time youve bought the discs pads and the carriers, although if you know a nice scrappy you should be able to pick up the carriers for alot less than the ~£100 for the 2 from the stealers. give me a shout if your after the part numbers.

next option is the R32 golf which uses 334mm x 32mm discs a 2 pot calipers
or the 3,2 quattro A3 345mm x 30mm with a single pot caliper

Brembo brakes from the Seat Leon Cupra

or if youve got money

porsche boxer calipers with calliper carriers fit as well with the 312mm discs

apart from the straight up 312mm setup or the porsche ones ive no idea how hard the other 3 setups are to install

Hope thats some help to you give me a shout if you want more info, however im going away for a week and not taking the laptop with me

ok cheers mate..yer that cleared most of them up, probs going to get rid of the spare wheel. And get the intake sorted out..i need the rear seats lol and i have a petrol not a diseal, i will prob only get a performance remap anyway when it comes to it, yer just got it today ! and brakes feel better than my 306 anyway, not really sharp like my dads vw caddie van..but maybe because thats 08 plate, might need new pads or something, or they could be worn away already, getting it serviced soon, was told to check out the cam belt as this could cause a costly situaion if it breaks.

Yes lightweight wheels are the way forwards, and alloy bells and rotors instead of discs. Can't remember the exact rule of thumb, but losing a few kgs of unsprung weight is the same of losing tens of kgs of sprung weight.