Chargecooling

jarrus

Pro Tuner
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
Been looking at fitting a charge cooler to the diesel beast as frontal space doesn't really allow for an air to air intercooler, or at least one that would be better than my top mount intercooler.

Reason for using one is that I can get a radiator for the front that's quick thin which will allow me to install it without disturbing the twin fans for the main engine radiator.

I had a look at PWR's kits, and as good as they look they are mega money even the smallest one they do and I don't think it would be suitable for my application.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-UNIVERS...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2e26037c

saw this on the bay and looks ok and the price is rather inviting, but is it too good to be true?

Also after a pump, a rad (AVT charge cooler systems want £200 for a 24"x12"x1" rad) header tank, I can get piping no problem off my dad.

Any ideas where I can get the stuff I want for a decent price? I understand I should be looking for quality stuff but £800 for a kit is silly money!

Cheers

Brett

I've got one, came with a free Focus RS!

Maybe look for one second hand from a Focus RS (the full setups tend to go for little money) as they are a compact setup, great for boost and there are some amongst us running 350bhp plus on the standard chargecooler setup. Just get a new pump as they pack in quite often but a new Bosch pump is only £80.

Isn't charge cooling just a generic term for anything that cools intake air? The term intercooler was originally adopted for aviation engines where multiple stages of supercharging or turbo-supercharging (the fully expanded name for turbocharging) were employed?

In such engines there were cooling stages between each stage of supercharging. Aero engines can tolerate the ridiculous levels of lag [that such an arrangement would introduce] which would be totally unacceptable for road use.

In such engines there were cooling stages between each stage of supercharging. Aero engines can tolerate the ridiculous levels of lag [that such an arrangement would introduce] which would be totally unacceptable for road use.
Don't you be so sure...:bigsmile:

Thought about getting one off another car, but this is for a diesel application and there for needs to be a big more substaincial, when diesels are crusing they are always producing boost and let alone the massive pressures I'm going to want to run. It is a nice thought though but I don't think it will be up to the job,

Horsepower doesn't really give a clear picture of cooling intake temps I mean I dare say that you guys are running about 25 psi to get upwards of 300 hp? I need at least 30 to get about 180-190 hp as the VE of my engine is rubbish. Thats why I looked at that ebay thing.

Don't you be so sure...:bigsmile:

We don't all drive horizontal chimney fires, mister.

For those who don't know, Claymore, I think I recall, injects fuel directly into the exhaust stream to increase boost pressure and simultaneously reduce or eliminate lag. Novel, exciting and offering a blisteringly quick drive.

Also excitingly dangerous. :lol: :D :lol:

Have you got anti lag Clay? Would be a good idea, I've seen a guy inject Nitrous and meths in his exhaust to spool up his turbo. Was on a drag car and he was already running 350 hp's worth into the engine so he couldn't add anymore (Was a v6 Buick I think) anyways liquid to air intercooler.....

any ideas?

We don't all drive horizontal chimney fires, mister.

For those who don't know, Claymore, I think I recall, injects fuel directly into the exhaust stream to increase boost pressure and simultaneously reduce or eliminate lag. Novel, exciting and offering a blisteringly quick drive.

Also excitingly dangerous. :lol: :D :lol:
That was about 18 months ago I now have a supercharger and a turbocharger, with two intercoolers.

york2011041.jpg

sorry for the thread hijack

Thought about getting one off another car, but this is for a diesel application and there for needs to be a big more substaincial, when diesels are crusing they are always producing boost and let alone the massive pressures I'm going to want to run. It is a nice thought though but I don't think it will be up to the job,

Horsepower doesn't really give a clear picture of cooling intake temps I mean I dare say that you guys are running about 25 psi to get upwards of 300 hp? I need at least 30 to get about 180-190 hp as the VE of my engine is rubbish. Thats why I looked at that ebay thing.

20-22psi dependant on setup. Not a clear picture no but it gives a rough idea. Air to air is better for a road car driven hard with no time to cool or used on track anyway. Air to water suffer badly from heatsoak and means loads of extra weight. There is enough room in that bay to fit another engine, have you seen a 5-pot 20vt in a Mk1 Punto? That's tight!

FFS, you can talk about anything you want guys,

Also back to the subject, the enginebay room isn't a problem it's in front of the fans that is, as in there's almost none! I could put a massive intercooler behind the radiator but would it be worth it though?

FFS, you can talk about anything you want guys,

Also back to the subject, the enginebay room isn't a problem it's in front of the fans that is, as in there's almost none! I could put a massive intercooler behind the radiator but would it be worth it though?

Because your fans are in front of your rad? Put the intercooler in front of the radiator and change the polarity on your fans or get some that are designed to pull air through instead.

Schoolboy stuff surely Brett!

Thats a tiny thing! I bet that is smaller than the original top mount! then again that looks to be a HDI engine which doesn't come with an intercooler at all, I suppose a tiny intercooler is better than nothing!

Thats a tiny thing! I bet that is smaller than the original top mount! then again that looks to be a HDI engine which doesn't come with an intercooler at all, I suppose a tiny intercooler is better than nothing!
agreed it's small, but because it's at the front it should be more efficient than the top mount

Because your fans are in front of your rad? Put the intercooler in front of the radiator and change the polarity on your fans or get some that are designed to pull air through instead.Schoolboy stuff surely Brett!

I don't think running the fans backwards (I assume this is why you suggest changing the polarity) is a good idea. The blades on well designed fans are curved in two planes so they won't work backwards very well. Best to get fans designed to pull the air through the rad (most efficient method as they don't block part of the rad)

I was looking at getting a couple of slim line puller fans, but I just got to make sure I still have enough room to undo the oil filter first. My car already has 2 fans on the front.

I don't think running the fans backwards (I assume this is why you suggest changing the polarity) is a good idea. The blades on well designed fans are curved in two planes so they won't work backwards very well. Best to get fans designed to pull the air through the rad (most efficient method as they don't block part of the rad)

I agree, wasn't aware I'd said otherwise.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back