Another HDI convert!

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Dropped my car off at the garage today for a few bits to be sorted out and the owner ran me back in their 406 HDi Estate.

The car was reluctantly accepted as a part exchange as it was a diesel auto estate with 146,000 miles on the clock.

The garage owner drove it to the auction to see what he would get for it which was a journey of some 60 miles or so.

By the time he got the auction house he decided the car was too good to sell at auction and he has kept it as the daily runaround.

He gave me a lift back to the town in it and I could see what he meant. It was pretty quiet and refined and the leather seats were very comfortable.

If it's automatic then it will be a 2.0 110bhp model. The 2.2 HDi was never made available with automatic transmission

The 2.2 is miles better still in terms of smooth running with twin balancer shafts and hydraulic engine mounts it's hard to tell the engine is a 4 cylinder unit, never mind a diesel one.

It definately had a HDi badge on the back :eek: not that this proves a thing.

I thought this would make you smile though!

I still think my favourite enigne configuration is a large capacity straight six (probably petrol) driving the rear wheels through a decent automatic box. It's the original formula for smoothness and doesn't have any need for balancer shafts at all as there's nothing to balance!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back