300 mph

deathstar999

Wrench Pro
Car
hyundai 1.6 coupe
well just reading a post set back in 2008 will we ever get a road car to do 200 well that one is blown out of the water most super cars will do that no probs so do we think that in the next 3 years that 300 mph will be possible and if so witch make and model will bugatti veyron new model ?

well just reading a post set back in 2008 will we ever get a road car to do 200 well that one is blown out of the water most super cars will do that no probs so do we think that in the next 3 years that 300 mph will be possible and if so witch make and model will bugatti veyron new model ?

First production car to achieve 200mph was the Ferrari F40 in 1987, so they were only 21 years out of date :)

These people seem to think 300mph will be achieved soon :)

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/260755/300mph_dagger_gt_revealed.html

Last edited:
I don't see 300mph as a big deal. Plenty of aeroplanes will exceed 300mph. The only clever bit with a car is keeping it on the ground at 300mph.

It's true that more and more road cars are now capable of doing 200mph. The Jaguar XF is an interesting case in point, with a remap and derestriction it is faster than the XJ220. Perhaps we will eventually see mass produced cars doing 300mph but I'm pretty sure they will all be restricted to 150mph!

The reason all the German makers restrict their cars to 155mph is because they don't want to have to spend silly money putting tyres and brakes on them that can cope with speeds upwards of 160mph, how long did the tyres on the Veyron SS last at 252mph, I think it was 30 miles or something, so at 300mph they would disintegrate within minutes.

If it was financially viable then we would see 300mph cars today, like HDi said it's just keeping them on the ground that's the problem, by adding downforce you take away top speed and visa versa

Not so sure
150mph isnt difficult but 180 is and to get from 180 to 200 requires as much exta power as getting from 130-180.
Just look at the few cars that can do the extra 20mph

getting to 250 will require something bordering on insane (as a road car ) hitting 275 will need something we have not thought of in the way of tyres if its a road car,

300.......Any one got any ideas of the power you would need ?

Not so sure
150mph isnt difficult but 180 is and to get from 180 to 200 requires as much exta power as getting from 130-180.
Just look at the few cars that can do the extra 20mph

getting to 250 will require something bordering on insane (as a road car ) hitting 275 will need something we have not thought of in the way of tyres if its a road car,

300.......Any one got any ideas of the power you would need ?

Very hard to determine this as there are so many other factors. Weight is not really an issue at such elevated speeds because air drag, tyre friction and mechanical losses are going to play a far bigger part.

Bear in mind that a doubling of forward speed represents a fourfold increase in drag so we would take the BHP of a 150mph (unrestricted) car and mutliply by four to get a rough idea of the figures involved.

Conservatively I think 2000bhp would be a good starting point.

300mph has got to be getting close the the bleeding edge of tyre technology development and this may well be the limiting factor for now.

Its difficult to see how a 2000+ bhp car could be a "road car" especially as the drag factor would make it look pretty strange.

Mind you there are some seriously strange looking cars made by the current crop of manufacturers

Well 10 years prior to the Veyron, if you had said out loud, "In 10 years time I think there will be a road going car which will have leather seats, air con, and electric windows and should be good for 252mph!"
Your next item of fun clothing worn would have been a straightjacket, whereupon you would then enjoy the next 20 years in becoming an expert in doing crayon drawings with your feet on the white padded walls! :)

it's only a two seater as there's not much room around that engine for anyone else to squeeze in, but as for what their like to drive?, only the likes of Simon Cowell and Jay Kay will be able to tell you that! :lol:

Bugatti have buit a 4 door 4 seater version called the Galibier with the same 8ltr W16 engine

Attachments

• bugatti_galibier_05-small.jpg
    bugatti_galibier_05-small.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 8
  • bugatti-galabier-16c-concept-breaks-cover-medium_2.jpg
    bugatti-galabier-16c-concept-breaks-cover-medium_2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Bugatti-Galibier-16C-concept.jpg
    Bugatti-Galibier-16C-concept.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
My god, that's ugly as sin......

You know what, everyone has missed a couple of points which I will bring up now...
1) Emissions, I really can't believe that you missed this!!

To be fair, it would be easy to get 2000 hp out of an 8 litre W16 with 4 turbos for that reason, it has 4 turbos so finding bigger ones isn't a problem and manufacturing stronger con rods etc, and also mapping it to be reliable. But it's VERY VERY hard to do all of that and pass current EU legislation of exhaust gas emissions and american ones (yes there laws are even more stringant) So the power bit can be done but I don't think currently they have the means to keep the ecomentalists off there back and realisticly the only way to gain more power without going overboard of emissions is more cubes and a lower compression ratio.

2) Where in the world could you run a car up to 300 mph? Better still though, what comes in to it as well is they would need to get it up to that speed as quickly as possible, so not only would it need to top 300 but it would need to accelerate far more quickly than any other....

3) Weight, I dare say the Veyron is so heavy so it can be completely stable at those speeds but weight means blunted performance so what do you do there?

4) Sheer madness......

Seriously now, do you really think the germans would have to stones to push the boat out some more? Sure they made the SS but that was only to say "We can do zis" However though, if you look in the koenigsegg stable though and see there latest creation...... they just want to go fast....
I think you'll agree though these guys have a fighting chance.....

In what distance do you expect this car to reach 300mph.
In the UK our longest runway is 1.7miles & a Veyron cant reach 215mph in that distance so Topspeeds are a meaningless stat unless you quote a distance the Veyron needed a 5 mile straight to reach 252mph . Go to the States & you can use over 8 miles to wind your car up & modified road cars have run 300mph in that distance.

despite all the effort, the aerodynamics of the bugatti veyron are far from good, the frontal area is way to big too. The bugatti veyron would need 1433 whp to get to 300 mph. whereas something more aerodynamic, like the 2002 nsx, would only need 1025 whp. the mclaren f1 would need 1003 whp. get aerodynamics right and theres no need for a billion horsepower. keep the weight down and tyres will last long enough. mclaren had got it spot on with the F1.

The problem with 300mph cars, as I have said previously, is keeping them on the ground.

300mph is wholly unremarkable for an aeroplane.

It's also unlikely that at this point we're going to find a tyre which can sustain 300mph along with the downforce required to keep the car ground borne at such a speed.

In what distance do you expect this car to reach 300mph.
In the UK our longest runway is 1.7miles & a Veyron cant reach 215mph in that distance so Topspeeds are a meaningless stat unless you quote a distance the Veyron needed a 5 mile straight to reach 252mph . Go to the States & you can use over 8 miles to wind your car up & modified road cars have run 300mph in that distance.

Hi Rod. How goes it with the Saph? Are you out in it this year?

300mph car:

http://www.dartheads.com/customer-gallery/1999-pontiac-firebird-of-macdonald-pitts/

despite all the effort, the aerodynamics of the bugatti veyron are far from good, the frontal area is way to big too. The bugatti veyron would need 1433 whp to get to 300 mph. whereas something more aerodynamic, like the 2002 nsx, would only need 1025 whp. the mclaren f1 would need 1003 whp. get aerodynamics right and theres no need for a billion horsepower. keep the weight down and tyres will last long enough. mclaren had got it spot on with the F1.

Again i quote distance, unless you are on the salt flats or longer those stats are meaningless. You need a lots of horses to reach these crazy speeds in a sensible distance. No good having a 1003whp F1 & boasting it can do 300mph ' I will find a 15mile straight & show you mate '.

The Ford GT that holds the standing mile street car record has 1750bhp & can reach 265mph, that car would require 2540bhp to exceed 300mph in that distance, however its likely he would require to be regeared to pull 300mph requiring even more power. I suggest 2800bhp is required to create a 300mph car within a sensible distance.

That article old-git linked suggests the Dagger will be 2500bhp, run on a special race fuel mix and if you plan to take it to 300mph, you need to buy all the optional safety extras. It says that there's are good safety reasons manufacturers don't make cars that go that fast.

Doesn't sound much like a road car to me really. The Veyron is big heavy, apparently very comfortable and pleasant to drive. It runs on super unleaded and comes with all you need to make it go 250mph. I think I'd take the Veyron at risk of dropping 50mph on the top speed!

Someone will hit 300mph with a production car though. Like T9-Man says, who'd have thought ten years ago we'd have the Veyron now.

Again i quote distance, unless you are on the salt flats or longer those stats are meaningless. You need a lots of horses to reach these crazy speeds in a sensible distance. No good having a 1003whp F1 & boasting it can do 300mph ' I will find a 15mile straight & show you mate '.

The Ford GT that holds the standing mile street car record has 1750bhp & can reach 265mph, that car would require 2540bhp to exceed 300mph in that distance, however its likely he would require to be regeared to pull 300mph requiring even more power. I suggest 2800bhp is required to create a 300mph car within a sensible distance.

I agree with you there mate,
But you could over come the gear thing with lots of torque, what makes the likes of the veyron and the mclaren mp4 fast is they can maintain there peak torque untill they achieve there peak power, the Audi RS6 also does, and they only way to manufature a torque curve like that is with forced induction, so power isn't the only thing it needs...

Also I don't think you'd need such a massive engine also, I mean sure cubic displacement is a large factor in making power and the engine layout but there has been soooo many advances in automotive techonolgy that making a this massive amount of power out of a smaller engine is entirely possible and more importantly, it also will be reliable.

Also it would be nice to see this 300 mph car run on an alternative fuel, something thats still widely avaliable though, something like LPG, or you could even have a diesel, it is entirely possible because when you start talking these power levels then diesel does actually start to make sence....

LPG would still be good, a vey high octane fuel that's cheap...
I think people would buy into it, and because of the octane rating more power can be had out of the engine, higher compression ratios, higher boost pressure, more igintion timing advance etc.....it does make sence....

You don't need a mega-huge engine. Something in the 7.0 to 8.0L range would be enough. Like they put in corvettes and vipers. road cars...

Then you'd need forced induction...lots of forced induction. I'm thinking 2 big turbos bleeding into a big supercharger. That way you can still fit it under the hood of a normal sized car. Just come to America. We'll find you a nice 2,500hp engine lying around in someones back yard. My engine builder will build you one in a month for around $10,000

Aerodynamics and suspension are addressed now, just ask any supercar maker to help you out with that. Bugatti, Shelby Supercars, Transtar...etc. easy

gearing is easy enough to figure out.

Then there's the matter of tires. Go out and find the companies that make aircraft tires. get the ones that are impregnated with aluminum. They feel soft like normal tires, but won't break down under the heat of high speed operation. Plus, they look cool cuz they're silver.

Then you're all set. Who's got $1,000,000 so we can get started?

Hahaha. He's a builder not a supplier and if you're serious, we could probably get something going. Let's see, a sturdy block goes for less than $1000, $2000 for the turbos/piping (less than half that if you can find them used/make the piping yourself), $1000 worth of injectors, fully forged and balanced rotating assembly probably about $2500, $1000 for a cam, $1000 for heads and $1000 to put it all together and tune. Yeah. I think it's entirely possible. This is America. Land of big V8s. They cost next to nothing to find and are easy to assemble.

Heck, buy my mustang. You can get 400whp with a $500 supercharger and a $300 carburetor.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back