Modification needed for Kia door handle

DMS

Car
Nissan Altima
Hello! I am hoping that someone can assist me in learning more about a modification I need on a car. Basically I need a rear hinge installed on rear doors. I have not been able to find an Auto body place near me that does this kind of work. Should I be looking for a specific type of auto body place? I know this is a weird request for an every day car. I use a wheelchair and want to be able to open the rear door, insert the chair and hop into the front with as little standing/walking as possible. It would give me great independence! If this is possible I am thinking of buying a newer car since I can imagine its not an inexpensive modification. I live 2 miles outside of Philadelphia in Delaware County. Thanks, Dane

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

It sounds like you need what is called a suicide rear door conversion. It is usually possible on most cars, a good bodyshop with welding experience should be able to help out. The key is getting the door hinges at the right angle, which is not so easy on a curved edge like a rear door.

Iv'e also seen sliding door conversions done, but you need a bit of space behind the door for the runners to flow through and i'm not sure the Altima has the right shape rear roof line from memory.

Sorry for my slow reply, it's been crazy busy here coping with lockdown and looking after the family. Hope you are doing ok.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Hello! I am hoping that someone can assist me in learning more about a modification I need on a car. Basically I need a rear hinge installed on rear doors. I have not been able to find an Auto body place near me that does this kind of work. Should I be looking for a specific type of auto body place? I know this is a weird request for an every day car. I use a wheelchair and want to be able to open the rear door, insert the chair and hop into the front with as little standing/walking as possible. It would give me great independence! If this is possible I am thinking of buying a newer car since I can imagine its not an inexpensive modification. I live 2 miles outside of Philadelphia in Delaware County. Thanks, Dane

hi and welcome. what year is the nissan altima? are you looking for factory standard rear door hinge or building a custom for your needs?

Right now I have a 2006 KIA Spectra that was given to me but I was looking at a 2016 Altima. (I figured if I'm going to spend money to modify I should pick a car that I really like and not as old)
I have to get more info on if there is a difference relating to amount of work it takes based on the type of car which would mean more work=more money. I am hoping for a factory standard rear door hinge as I found that the kits for those are sold on line. I am not able to do the work - not educated in anything but driving, putting in air, changing oil, etc.

I found a motorsports place in new jersey that is looking into it. 'Customizing' is a term I can use to search ... thank you!

This sounds like an awesome project I'll be watching with interest.

Welcome to the site, good to have you along. You'll find this site really friendly, helpful and supportive.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back