Hello from Aaron

aaronB

Car
peugeot 106 GTI
Hi everyone, my name is Aaron I'm from Ireland, I have a peugeot 106 GTI and I have been looking for a decent car site to get some helpful info on how to get the most out of my car and where to start off.

Last edited:
May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.

You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.
What plans do you have for your car? I'm sure we can give you lots of ideas and suggestions if you need any.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Thank you for the welcome, my plans for my car is mainly to do with the engine and getting more power and control but I'm not too sure what way to go about it, I just want to get the most out of it :)

Money is usually the limiting factor, especially when you try to insure a modified car.

The best mods for a car engine are as follows.

Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well. You'll also need stronger internal parts if you are looking at a big power hike so forged rods etc.. are the order of the day.

Bigger valves are an obvious add on but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy (lumpy tickover at low RPM).

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods. Turbo cars respond very well to remaps.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Thank you for the info its a lot of work but I know it will be worth it, and thanks to all for the welcomes.

welcome along fella

as you already know the 1.6 gti is already a pretty nippy car as standard, id personally look at beefing up the brakes/suspension upgrade and full polybush set.

Then start looking at yielding a bit more power from the engine, id say always do a compression test to see all is in order then give the car a real good service to make sure everything is in tip top condition before starting to add some goodies.

i would also say find a local rolling road so you can get a base figure to work from then return to there after you add a sequence of mods to see what you may of gained.

mods wise is dead easy go for a full exhaust system including manifold, a simota enclosed induction kit. This will help get the air in and gasses out a bit quicker and if your happy with this then a remap will again benefit the changes.

after this your looking at fast road cams and possibly head work to get the absolute most of the mods and of course will require another remap.
The world really is your oyster with these engines there is so much out there for them, throttle bodies/bike carbs/turbo conversions/supercharged conversions

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back