Who are the best tuners?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What would you say the best tuners are in terms of the end car they turn out. We are talking about whole car tuners rather than just companies that sell bolt on parts.

The ones I can think of are AMG, RUF, M(? does this one count?), Brabus, Alpina, Arbarth, Cosworth, Rallyart, Nismo and Prodrive but I'm sure I've still missed out some major names.

Cosworth are my top - the've been around and still turn out some stunning work (Probably don't really count as new model tuners though). Anyone seen the Cosworth Range Rover conversions? Alpina also have a great reputation at producing special cars and recently turned their hands to the diesel BMW and once again turned out a winner.

What is your all time TOP tuner car available off the shelf?

i think nismo and amg are good, and even though brabus are mercedes, they install too much power for what the car can take

Good selection, there are a few who don't hit the dizzy heights of the aforementioned but still offer, or offered a good package, Tickford and Overfinch are two that spring to mind.

I would not include Lotus or MG as they both made bespoke cars and not tuned versions, apart from the Lotus Ford combination and some badge engineered BL/Rover. The 'Z' series was more than sticking a badge on the car, the whole set-up was tuned but I still would not put the last MG range in that category as it doesn't seem right compared with the other names mentioned.

Closely followed by the tuning prowess of Bernie on Chop Shop. Lowering a car by chopping the springs, a true exponent of the tuning art in action!

Closely followed by the tuning prowess of Bernie on Chop Shop. Lowering a car by chopping the springs, a true exponent of the tuning art in action!
quick question did you ever see the first series (bangla bangers)???? now lepu and his mates where using almost primitive tools and still made works of art crafts men at there best
nod.gif

Last edited:
quick question did you ever see the first series (bangla bangers)???? now lepu and his mates where using almost primitive tools and still made works of art crafts men at there best
nod.gif
i did, their class arent they:D

I'm more into garage tuning. I don't like big names, I'm still more after that. mods, customs.
well, if there's about a big name, I would go for cosworth, they're unique and proven on the early 90's rally champ.

Not seen it before, not my cup of tea, sorry! If I had that many horses I would race it not show it therefore it would look different and not have excessive weight. But that's what it's all about I suppose, horses for courses etc etc.

Not seen it before, not my cup of tea, sorry! If I had that many horses I would race it not show it therefore it would look different and not have excessive weight. But that's what it's all about I suppose, horses for courses etc etc.

It was built quite a few years ago now and starred in Ali G's Film. It was built though to show what Carisma as a company could do. Thats why it has everything from big bodykit to a full custom interior. He has also done a Tvr and a Porche.

Jamie Shaw he is good though ain't he. I like his R5 best an I don't even like the things.
fy1bi06b.jpg

How cool is this...
yep i remember that it has had many forms over the years and it must be maxpowers most featured car ever cause every time he changed some thing it was unique and had never been done before

Long term big names I think probably Brabus, AMG and Alpina but in no particular order.

TWR (Tom Walkinshaw Racing) did some nice stuff with Jaguar.

Or, of course, MG (Morris Garages).

I'm not including the modern day ECU tuners as their role is very secular and deals only with ECU control data.

Long term big names I think probably Brabus, AMG and Alpina but in no particular order.

TWR (Tom Walkinshaw Racing) did some nice stuff with Jaguar.

Or, of course, MG (Morris Garages).

I'm not including the modern day ECU tuners as their role is very secular and deals only with ECU control data.

and ECU don't fit on older cars, right?

"and ECU don't fit on older cars, right?"

It's not so much they dont fit, it's more that they just don't need 'em. Carbs are set up with vacuum gauges and airflow meters quite successfully. Bear in mind that emissions control is the primary reason for today's complex cars. You could make a 1.3 Metro comply with current rules but it would be so tuned down to achieve this result that it would virtually undriveable.

It was more of an art in the old days I feel.

There are some very good ECU tuners out there. You know my universal praise for Celtci Tuning.

And then there's the ones I think are total wasters:

dieselbob is an example. Go and read the meaningless crap on his site.

Ethanol and biodiesel cannot directly replace mineral fuels in all applications. And it's still important to burn fuel as completely as possible for economy and cleanliness as well as power output.

Where I think it went wrong was the wholesale adoption of catalytic converters on petrol cars. A whole decade of lean burn research was written off over night. Cats are not especially efficient devices.

Ethanol and biodiesel cannot directly replace mineral fuels in all applications. And it's still important to burn fuel as completely as possible for economy and cleanliness as well as power output.

Where I think it went wrong was the wholesale adoption of catalytic converters on petrol cars. A whole decade of lean burn research was written off over night. Cats are not especially efficient devices.

agree at all.