Vr4/amg merc

deradave

Car
VR4 Saloon Tiptron
Hi All.
I have owned a VR4 saloon ( 1996 ) for 3 years. It has has a MAPECU upgrade & is one of the best cars I have owned ( apart from the brakes )
It holds its own against my family estate car C Class amg merc.
Just need to know the best way of improving the front discs/braking etc.
Any clues out there?
cheers.
dave

Hi All.
I have owned a VR4 saloon ( 1996 ) for 3 years. It has has a MAPECU upgrade & is one of the best cars I have owned ( apart from the brakes )
It holds its own against my family estate car C Class amg merc.
Just need to know the best way of improving the front discs/braking etc.
Any clues out there?
cheers.
dave

What pads do you use? When was the brakes last serviced?

I don't know what your current brake set up is but try THESE for a set of discs. We have fitted dba's to lots of 'bishis and have had very good results.
There's always the obvious option of goodridge brake lines, don't get the cheapest options, go for the ones with stainless fittings, when you fit them you need to bleed the brakes anyway so you can replace the fluid with a decent variety. In all honesty, unless you track the car any good quality modern brake fluid should be suitable.
Pads ? It's about matching the pads to your style of driving.

What pads do you use? When was the brakes last serviced?
The discs & pads were changed EBC & red stuff, plus had total fluid changed & metal brake hoses fitted, all done by Eurospec2000. And still the brakes fade & vibrate. Had steering & wheels all checked & balanced, changed the reds for standard pads, bit better but still not good. Next idea is caliper change, is the thought pattern.

The red stuff is only really for track use IMHO. Are you thinking of bigger calipers? 6 Pot? A big brake conversion is the way to go.

Get some larger front disks, bigger calipers and pads. Upgrade your rear brakes as well and use some DOT 5.1 Racing brake fluid. Different alloy wheels may give more space for bigger disks.

Your brake servo may be to blame and it is probably worth getting this checked out while you are at it.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back