Used car tyres

gummy

Torque Master
Car
skyline r34 gtt
Some tyre fitting depots sell nearly new/used tyres!.Are they a good thing or bad?,just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this!,would you use or not?.

I wouldnt have thort the tread on any one pair would be the same. The only reason why they would have a used spare is because somone who has done 1000 miles on them has had a puncture on the front, not wanted to swap them with the back, so bought a new set.

Id say they would be ok for destryong on a track or for every day pottering about, but on a machine like yous you want something you can rely on.

May be alright for an old bid doing a weekly shop!.I saw them advertised and thought it may make an interesting thread,to see what people thought!.

May be alright for an old bid doing a weekly shop!.I saw them advertised and thought it may make an interesting thread,to see what people thought!.

I understand that totally gummy but used tyres on your monster! it's just not worth risking mate :)

all 4 of my michelin primacy tyres are used with 5mm of tread on all 4 and for £20 a corner fitted they are probably the best bargain i bought for the car last year!!:D:D

all 4 of my michelin primacy tyres are used with 5mm of tread on all 4 and for £20 a corner fitted they are probably the best bargain i bought for the car last year!!:D:D

I don't think they were used Herb, I think you just happend to go into the garrage the day after you got that bonk on your head and the mechanics took one look at you and thort ''quick, lets sell him some tyres cheep, we don't want no hastle!''

:lol::lol:

Can't argue with that! Assuming that the supplier has checked them for defects then I can't see a problem.

I fitted (brand new) Primacy HPs to my car a few months ago at a cost of £140 per corner. Ouch! But consider this:-

Kwik Fit wanted £224 per corner :-( Something is clearly wrong with KF's pricing policy.

It all depends of the state of the tyre, but you can never be sure what is the state of particular tyre. ;)
It may look new with deep thread, but that tells you nothing specific. Every tyre got some amount of heating cycluses after what they become "more plastic" (in lack of more sufficient english word to describe what i mean. :) )
If you can sense differences in tyre brands when you driving at the edge, then used tyres is not for you because you can not be sure that tyre has been stored properly, does it have 15 k miles behind, or is it repaired and how it is repaired.

Off course, there are a lot of drivers for whom such a tyre will be great bargain. Those people just drive from A to B. Don't think we got a lot such drivers here on forum. :lol:

Can't argue with that! Assuming that the supplier has checked them for defects then I can't see a problem.

I fitted (brand new) Primacy HPs to my car a few months ago at a cost of £140 per corner. Ouch! But consider this:-

Kwik Fit wanted £224 per corner :-( Something is clearly wrong with KF's pricing policy.

Say what! £224! Did you explain that the fact that you were in kwik fit obviously means you are not a billionair and they shouldn't even advertise them prices as no one in there right mind would pay a grand for a set of Primacy Hp's.

Have heard that quik fit have to reach a target each month so are pricey to reach target,i took a cortina to them years ago for an mot, they said it needed shocks all round,quoted a lot of money,so i went else where there was nothing wrong with the shocks!.Probably had to reach the target!!.

Say what! £224! Did you explain that the fact that you were in kwik fit obviously means you are not a billionair and they shouldn't even advertise them prices as no one in there right mind would pay a grand for a set of Primacy Hp's.

They didn't advertise the prices! I phoned and asked for a quote! I suspect they wanted to sell to me the 225/55/R16 98W tyres that suited them, at that time for the purpose of their own profit margins.

Hence the high price (quoted by KF) of the Primacy HPs I wanted fitted to my car.

Kwikfit has no knowledge of my financial position, nor of my (not-insubstantial) financial means and my (not insubstantial) financial security. I find that quite rude and agressive as a sales pitch. So I left 'em high and dry, without an order nor my money.

Kwik Fit is staffed by, run by, and managed by stupid people and I have no interest in engaging with any of them. I'll place my business with high quality independent operators who understand their customers' needs and whims.

Even if I was dead skint and living hand to mouth I would not expect ANYONE to tell me what is expensive and what is not.

Yes, I'm not a billionaire, nor a millionaire. But why should a jumped up phone answering berk try to offer me deals?

:blink: I might be getting the wrong end of that post, but it seems your having a go at me for saying your not a billion air? Could just be how I read it. I only meant they shouldn't be selling tyres like that at that price as no one would buy them. They would not offer that sort of price to anyone in the know, as they would know that price is stupid. I wasn't saying you shop at kwik fit so therefore you must be poor? :confused:

Like I say I might be reading your post incorrectly, but if you feel I had a pop at you then I'm sorry, I wasn't. No offence intended.

i have put used tyres on a car in the past but i wouldn't do it today. 4mm of tread depth actually only means you get 2mm of wear from them and you are never quite sure of the condition of the tyres.

Nice looking used tyres may be an old spare that is 9 years old and has never been on the car which is starting to perish.

Cheap tyres are imo a false economy, they are your only point of contact with the road after all.

I have bought part-worns for the Discovery, saves me a few £s. The tyres are fine, just someones cast-offs from a company car that have reached their contracted limit but still have plenty of life left. I also buy quality part-worns tyres for track use, track tyres being £160-180 a corner means it's a no-no, so scrubbed used ones are the way to go, why waste a good set? New tyres overheat and fall apart.

:blink: I might be getting the wrong end of that post, but it seems your having a go at me for saying your not a billion air? Could just be how I read it. I only meant they shouldn't be selling tyres like that at that price as no one would buy them. They would not offer that sort of price to anyone in the know, as they would know that price is stupid. I wasn't saying you shop at kwik fit so therefore you must be poor? :confused:

Like I say I might be reading your post incorrectly, but if you feel I had a pop at you then I'm sorry, I wasn't. No offence intended.

Sorry BBJ that was badly worded by me. I never meant to offend you. I do despise Kwik Fit and I think that got the better of me.

Last edited:
A lot of places that used to sell part worn tyres have closed or just offer new now. There was some law introduced requiring all part worn tyres to be specially and permentantly marked plus safety checks to be carried out.

I can see why, as some were frankly dangerous but most part worn tyres are a good proposition.

Quite often there are tyres for sale with only delivery miles on them that have been replaced with larger size wheels and lower profile tyres.

IMO they would be the safest option over tyres with no history and higher mileage on them as they have been heat cycled many times and consequently the tread compound has hardened over time and the grip level is lower than when new.

We had a local breakers yard and people scrapped cars for many reasons some of them having nearly new tyres fitted. I got some amazing bargains back then. There seem to be more size options now and I'm not sure I would want part worn tyres on my Torquey car!