Tuning a 316

ayala

Hi fellas,
Just recently bought my first beemer (316) and was looking for some advice on performance upgrades to get that little extra out of the car.
Engine so far is completly standard.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

What engine and year is your car? The BMW's are pretty good for tuning as the engines are well built. Without knowing the details I would say, Fast road cam, induction kit, sports exhaust, FSE fuel boost valve, lower ratio gearbox. Get the speed limiter removed also and you will have a good all round track day, road car!

Hi mate, cheers for the reply..
Its a 1994 316 the ngines just the standard 1.6.
Im just looking for that extra bit of umph. lol
i have a budget of £300 to spend right now so what would you recommend i buy first etc.?
I was looking at a gruppe m induction kit as i was told they are the best? What would you recommend?
Cheers.

Why not focus on uprating the brakes (bigger discs and calipers from an M for example) and then do an engine conversion later on. That way your not undoing work that you have already done in the future. In a 1.6 I would just do a panel air filter rather than induction kit. A fast cam would make a big difference. Look into the FSE fuel boost valves as well.

im considering the 316i 1999 how much bhp do you think i could aquire from the engine it would be a long term project so money isnt much of an issue.

sorry i hijacked the thread its along the same lines so i didnt see a point in starting a new one.

A 2.5 engine swap would probably be the best and most cost effective mod you can do. The 316i should be a 1600cc engine if the badge is to be believed - is that actually the case though :)

as i said im not too bothered about spending money ive got a 40k a year job so i can afford to spend some of it. i wasnt really looking to swap out the engine as i wouldnt be able to insure it yes i can afford the car but insurance company wont touch me because of my age.

so im looking at things like turbos so on.

Ok then. Rather than a turbo you will find a supercharger is a better option. You will probaly find it really hard to get cover with a modified car so I think whatever you do will end up increasing your insurance.

thanks, i dont know if i keep the mods a to a minimum for now and not tell the insurance company just have it off if i ever crash. (which i have no intention of doing)

It's a dangerous plan. If the rear gets mangled you won't have the option of fitting a standard exhaust back on. If the front gets cubed your car will probably be towed and stored and inspected giving little time to change the mods back. An insurer will love a chance to decline to pay out on a claim. :(

But at least you don't have permenant back ache and rely on a supply of medication to get through the day (enjoy your youth just curse the insurers!) I'm thankfully not quite there yet but I'm starting to have sympathy with the older ones ;)

Another plus to being young is that you can go upstairs AND make love. When you get older you can't do both! (According to a well known old irish DJ!)