speeding

The last time I had accurate information it was 14 days for the authorities to deliver a letter to you. That letter required you to nominate the driver at the time of the alleged speeding offence.

If your car is registered in your name, and at your address then after 14 days you can disregard the whole thing. Don't reply as that's an admission that you knew who was driving.

It was a speed van, cleverly hiding on a swerve. I came around the bend, saw it, then dropped my speed by 10 mph as quick as I could!

Why can you disregard the incident after 14 days?

I didn't mean it in a harsh way, every learns their lesson at some point including me.
I'm sure you wont get a speeding fine or speed seminar, they seem to be relaxing at the mo, my mate got a warning for doing 50 in a 30.

I didn't mean it in a harsh way, every learns their lesson at some point including me.
I'm sure you wont get a speeding fine or speed seminar, they seem to be relaxing at the mo, my mate got a warning for doing 50 in a 30.
its not my fault, the min a really good banging tune comes on my driving improves haha. although i dont think the courts would take that into account, and anyway u can talk aint u the one with the signature ( i dont speed i just ride low?)

Yeah within the speed limits, well apart from on the motorway.
Like I said i didn't mean it in a harsh way, it was a joke I was being sarcastic!

Last edited:
Yeah within the speed limits, well apart from on the motorway.
Like I said i didn't mean it in a harsh way, it was a joke I was being sarcastic!
your more likely to get caught speeding on motorways than anywhere else, the rossers are always sittin on the bridges waiting for you to speed threw, and watch out as nowdays there in under cover focus st,s

does anyone know, can you get done by the ol standard gatsos if you are driving towards them? I would have thought they wouldnt flash in your race but they have the spacing lines on both sides of the road when you pass them.

You cannot be caught by a Gatso facing toward you. Final answer. This is because the flash might cause vision problems for the approaching driver.

The lines go both ways as sometimes the cameras are used alternately on both sides of the carriageway. Especially those in the central reservation of dual carriageways.

Don't confuse these with the Truevelo devices. They do work facing you. They use inductions strips in the road surface to detect your presence, position and speed so radar detectors won't disclose their presence.

THey also use infra-red flash, thus bypassing the dazzled driver problem.

The biggest risk to us all now is the mobile units. If you're lucky it's being operated by a proper police officer. They're generally quite sensible in application of the road fraffic law.

THe civvies are brutal and over zealous in my opinion.

I'll find some pictures. THey do look very different and usually have the brand name TRUEVELO painted upon the support post. There's a new Truevelo I've noticed recently which is disturbingly hard to spot as the camera is no wider than the support pole.

found pic

68E6C5E8E30F5C815D53D1E7AC2CC.jpg

ones ive seen look slghtly wider than these so might not have been them

pic taken from msn

Last edited:
That's the ones. Nasty devices. Needlessly placed and without any warning of them as you approach. It really is time we started look at driving standards properly and dismissed speeding as the solitary cause of all road incidents.

I'm fine with road safety cameras...but speed cameras really p*** me off. We pay for them to try and get us to pay more!

P.S. 14 days went by and I received no notice...so I was lucky that day!

You're clear Prince. Pay it no more mind whatsoever.

You'll be surprised to know that the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) does not hold speed vans in high regard at all.

I'm with Swindon Town Council and it's decision to abolish FIP speed cameras. Let's just hope that the decision is not to enforce needlessly low speed limits with mobile ones instead.

The 14 day rule is probably a good one for this reason:

If you received a letter asking you to nominate a driver for an alleged offence six months after its commital then it's reasonable defence that you cannot remember that far back.

There are a number of legal fragilities that help people challenged by speed cameras to defend or have their prospective cases abandoned by the courts.

Not so long ago there was a zero tolerance policy on the M4 close to London (between jcts 9 and 2)

So, if you were flashed for 71mph you got a ticket.

Might as well maximise this then - drive at 89.9 mph and get exactly the same fine and points penalty.

Strangely the average speeds increased (what a surprise). Yet the accident rate dropped.

You've done a bit of research into speeding then HDI!

Do you offer defense representation at a discounted rate to TorqueCars members?

HDi has studied law extensively.

He is not, however, qualified to practice.

I have had a few minor results working on behalf of friends and family.

For example - recovering £700 from a mobile phone provider who tried to enforce a contract that I felt was unlawful.

Traffic law has become a minefield with the advent of automated speed enforcement during the early 1990s.

The simplest answer, of course, is to stick to the posted speed limits. What's disappointing is that there are people who do just this but still prove to be exceptionally poor drivers despite never exceeding the speed limit.