Reasons why I will never buy a new car.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
So why will I not be buying a new car? Well they lose a lot of their value. If you sell a car in the UK after 3 years of ownership you will have lost around 50% of its list price. The more options to get the more money you will lose when you come to sell the car. So on a 7,000 car this equates to a loss 3500 and on an 80,000 car you are looking at 40,000! SUV's and executive cars are notorious depreciators and can lose up to a staggering 60% of their list price!

If you take the options as separate items from the basic list price they will typically lose around 80% of their value, although some options are now considered essential and a car without them will not find a new owner easily. Other than air conditioning, power steering, ABS, alloy wheels and a good set of sounds, ignore other options like leather or heated seats, sunroof, courtesy lights, arm rest, driver aids like audible parking proximity sensors, metallic or special paint finishes, paddle gear shift on the steering wheel and sat nav. None of these will add much if anything to the resale value of the car.

New cars also have faults. many new cars have faults or niggles that get fixed under warranty. Buying a car at 3 years old will have been thoroughly troubleshot and still have plenty of reliable life left in it. Then if I sell it at 6 years old I will typically lose just 30% of my outlay.

A 3 year old car with minor chips in the paint and slight scuffs or swirls in the metal reduces my anxiety. If the car was perfect looking when I parked it I would desperately take every measure possible to keep it so and avoid parking near the busy ends of car parks, leaving it on most streets would be a no-no to. A used car does not induce the same level of paranoia and fear of vandalism so you get to lead a less stressful life with fewer worries and concerns.

Can you think of any other reasons why I shouldn't buy a new car? Do you disagree? What are the benefits of New cars?

none :D

a car fresh off the production line like you said will be riddle with faults as testing is not as rigorous as everyday life.

one bonus is the cool factor but then again thats just somewhat of a penis extension showing off a car that not many people have seen before. only plus i can be bothered to think of. :?

I think the pedestrian crash test regulations are forcing all manufacturers to use the same shapes in their design.

i think the design of older cars and newer cars don't match up at all. newer cars do tend to merge into one design (with few exceptions) but older cars don't. i think the majority of family salons all look like company cars to me, but then again who am i to judge. :D

I bought my first car 9 months ago at a reasonable price of £800, its now worth £700. So your best bet, despite them being high mileage, prone to constant breakdowns and shed type looks, is to buy cars roughly 8-10 years old.

I would agree & disagree. If you buy a new car from a main dealer, you do loose money when you drive off a forecourt. BUT, if you buy a new car from a car supermarket you save money. I bought my 2002 pug 206 from a car supermarket brand new & saved about £1500 rather than buying it from a main dealer. So I think it could be 50/50.

Thats a fair point. If you get a good discount you can't really complain about depreciation.

The scrappage scheme will help offset depreciation on lower priced cars. The trouble is a lower initial cost could actually drive down the resale value.

in Vietnam its a bit odd. We bought the Ssangyong Musso for the office 7 years ago and are now changing it for a New 2010 Mondeo - not many option s in the same size range except a Camry and already have one of those in the other office. So we are buying this, USD56000 (not cheap but they have high taxes). Point is we have been offered for the Musso, which cost USD27000 new, just under USD10000. Not bad really.

It really depends on how long you want to keep the car. 3 years is the killer as you say Waynne.

Keep a car for 3 years or less, you may as well buy a second hand one. Keep it for 10 years or more, and there's far less to choose.

I'd never buy a new car, innless I was into the big money. I can not beleve the people who buy new cars for there first cars. You first car should be a banger that you can dent and scratch and reverse into walls and stuff. I hate the excuse, I could never save up, so Ill take out hp! I know a couple who both got one of them new Clio coupe things. Setting em back 15 large each. They both went for the 1.5 diesel option???? Are some of these people educated by knuckle heads? The guy in the garage saw them coming a mile off! When I asked them why, they both said because I don't have to pay to service them and the tax is cheap!!!! WHAT TF!!!!!! If that is the case, go for one of them new Diesel polo's that do 70mpg for a run around, and then get a second hand strong fast reliable car like a 3 series or a passat or a A4 for long distance.

Nice one Wayne..Ive been driving for 40yrs now ,and have never bought,or even thought of buying a new car..I worked in vauxhalls for about 10yrs and that didn,t even temp me, regardless of what people think of their cars...at times when the cars I had, needed petrol I was in a position to go and buy another one ,so I have had quite a few cars as you can guess...I have allways bought a car 10 to 12yrs old (my currant one 1998 v70 ) built like a brick s--t house, metal as thick as me, and the only thing I have to worry about is brakes and a service...cheap insurance.... and I can agree with another member New cars are just an exstention of there manhood, and for women to leave there make-up till there sat in there new car at lights, lol..so yes I do agree with you on this...and tell me this then why do most volvo owners own a pre 2000 car thats been round the clock twice and still full of life......or is it me just getting older!!!!,,
P.S nothing against other car owners here of differant makes....just my opinion guys...

cheers
john

Apologies to drag up such an old thread, but I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. I've been looking to replace my car for a while, and was all set to "go new" until I read the opinions on here, so I ended up going here, [Link removed by admin]and picked up a top second hand one, and I only had to go a couple of miles. The seller actually lived in the same village as my parents! I've had it for 3 weeks now (probably time to update the user profile on here :p) and it's had no problems so far, however it is due for it's MOT in just under a month, so that will be the true test :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Why shouldn't you buy a new car?Well,if you can get a discount of 25% off a new one,as I did,then you should stick with what floats your boat.I prefer to have new cars for the peace of mind they give me.If it breaks down,it gets fixed FOC.I also get very cheap days out through the manufacturer.Who could complain at getting 3hrs one 2 one tuition(with a current BTCC driver) at a race track for £30.All this in one of the manufacturers own vehicles.:lol:

I've had a couple of new cars as company cars but I've only ever bought one new one - my Clio 172. It was a runout as the 182 was just about to come out and I got a brand new, fully-loaded cracker of a car for 10995, and just for once I wanted my own new car. And it was a cracker, I wish I'd kept it.

Me again
(are there any job vacancies on here???:bigsmile:
I just had to tell you about my 'experience' with WEBUYANYCAR
From an internet offer I put the details of our brand new S1600. It was bought just about 3 weeks ago and its market value with the 'extras' is just over £17K. You say I lose 50% in 3 years? Well for a fact I lost the VAT before it left the dealers but anycar made me an offer of?????
£8735 if memory serves. Definitely well under £9K That equated to a loss of 50% in 2+ weeks...............:sad2::sad2::sad2:
So why will I not be buying a new car? Well they lose a lot of their value. If you sell a car in the UK after 3 years of ownership you will have lost around 50% of its list price. The more options to get the more money you will lose when you come to sell the car. So on a 7,000 car this equates to a loss 3500 and on an 80,000 car you are looking at 40,000! SUV's and executive cars are notorious depreciators and can lose up to a staggering 60% of their list price!

If you take the options as separate items from the basic list price they will typically lose around 80% of their value, although some options are now considered essential and a car without them will not find a new owner easily. Other than air conditioning, power steering, ABS, alloy wheels and a good set of sounds, ignore other options like leather or heated seats, sunroof, courtesy lights, arm rest, driver aids like audible parking proximity sensors, metallic or special paint finishes, paddle gear shift on the steering wheel and sat nav. None of these will add much if anything to the resale value of the car.

New cars also have faults. many new cars have faults or niggles that get fixed under warranty. Buying a car at 3 years old will have been thoroughly troubleshot and still have plenty of reliable life left in it. Then if I sell it at 6 years old I will typically lose just 30% of my outlay.

A 3 year old car with minor chips in the paint and slight scuffs or swirls in the metal reduces my anxiety. If the car was perfect looking when I parked it I would desperately take every measure possible to keep it so and avoid parking near the busy ends of car parks, leaving it on most streets would be a no-no to. A used car does not induce the same level of paranoia and fear of vandalism so you get to lead a less stressful life with fewer worries and concerns.

Can you think of any other reasons why I shouldn't buy a new car? Do you disagree? What are the benefits of New cars?

and once you took it to them youd probably be under £8k as they will go over the car in superfine detail for anything they can knock money off for

Sorry....but new cars sucks.....unless it is a Koenigsegg :) :) :)

They do have a ''lifetime'' warranty now etc, but its not the same if you can't actually look under the bonnet to see for yourself if something is wrong and fix it yourself instead of taking it to well spoken service representative.

Some people are lazy or not technically minded at all, they sometimes struggle to open a bonnet or they even don't know that this slightly curved metal panel on front can be opened, so for them having a new car with super warranty is like a God blessing with complete peace of mind.

To be honest, I did that, but thats why I have this opinion, I felt lonely when a well spoken man took my keys and asked to come back later where I could not see anything, I could not even see or talk to ''surgeon'' (mechanic) :) .
If you are very ill and you have to go on the table, you want to see your hospital first, then your surgeon, have a word with him etc. Service just takes your signature and keys and then it gives it back, no fun at all

For example, 2 weeks ago, a thermostat failed in my Audi. Thermostat costs 19.71 GBP - genuine part from Audi.
To change it you need to take the whole front off and it cost after 10% discount just under 800.00 GBP - FOR A 20quid PART.
It is a good idea if you taking the whole front off to change the water pump as well and do your cambelt with all the rollers and tensioner as well, but then it brings the total to 1270.00 GBP !!!!!!!
The cambelt kit for this car cost ''just'' 440.00 GBP !!!!!!!!!

I'm not a greedy person at all, especially if something is worth money spend, but we all know that dealership service charges are ridiculous and money you putting in you'll never get back, either they wont increase the value of your car.

So two weeks ago, my best mate came with his family to stay over the weekend and we pulled the car on the drive way together with a barbecue and some beers, and 5h 30min later car was ready to go for a drive.

It was FUN, ENJOYMENT, a great SATISFACTION when you starting the engine for the first time, just a truly great time.

And....it cost me just over 300.00 GBP !!!!!!
OVER 900.00quid in the pocket !!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andy

I'm really sorry for what happened in this thread.
To be completely honest with you m8, I wasn't even thinking for a second about self-promoting my self, I don't really need that. I don't even get a penny from it as I never meet this guy believe or not.
Someone who I never meet as well recommended him to me and gave his direct office number so I would not waste money on same parts with a dealership, he owns a A8 as well so it was probably a A8 owner friendly thing I suspect.

It was a 100% friendly thing from me to all German cars owners to safe quiet few quid on parts. No profit whatsoever for me, don't need that at all.
And they as a biggest German car parts business will make some profit of course as every single business in this world leaving more money in your wallet ;)
But, I suspect it is not about that, but about the forum rules, which to be honest with you, I'm not fully familiar with, yet, so yes, it was my fault and please accept my apologies.

Regards
Marc07

Lol, I wanna know what the fuss was about.

As for cambelts, vasstech rugby did me cambelt, tensioners, water pump, aux belt and oil service and some other bits for 409 quid, and collected and delivered the car.

Now THAT'S value.

Lol, I wanna know what the fuss was about.

As for cambelts, vasstech rugby did me cambelt, tensioners, water pump, aux belt and oil service and some other bits for 409 quid, and collected and delivered the car.

Now THAT'S value.

First compare Bora's parts and labour to '06 A8 V8 parts and labour, and then we will talk ;)

Just the parts inc. discount: 300.00+ GBP

Who goes to main dealers? Vasstech are ex vw master tehnicians, they can do all the vag group cars, so they'll do audi, with oem parts and labour rates half that of a stealer

Parts are common across all vag group cars marc, so your audi will use many of the same parts that a passat or a big seat or skoda will. This year's seat exeo is last year's audi a4 rebadged.

I'm a "cup is half empty" kind of guy :bigsmile: so personally, I will probably never buy a used performance car as I will want it to have been truly cared for since day 1 and not trashed on a stone-cold engine every other day. I bought my Focus RS mkII for this exact reason and I even did a 750 mile round-trip to buy from a specific Ford dealer who had already sold 20 of them. Had I ordered it from my local Ford dealer (who had sold none - only 130 RS's have been sold in Sweden in total) they would perhaps have given it a fair trash before handing over the keys. My friend's '09 STI was given such a treatment at the local Subie dealer when it was in for its 1st service (they actually drove 40 km in it). Gearbox suffered somehow and was grinding when he picked it up. Their word against his. He gave up in the end. :sad2:

Since I don't want some random Ford dealer to do service/repair on my car, I decided to throw away the warranty after only 3 months of ownership, and I drove it straight to an enthusiast 2.5T tuner to have some work done to it.

I do most (basic) maintenance myself (fluids, filters, engine mounts, sensors, brakes, etc) and leave the more advanced stuff to my tuner (Autotech Motorsport; probably one of the most experienced tuners in the world when it comes to the 2.5 ltr Volvo 5-pot found in the RS). Fingers crossed it doesn't blow up without a warranty. ;) A little more than a year has passed now and so far I've been lucky enough to see only a sensor fail (IAT sensor) which I changed the other day. Darn it, now I've probably jinxed it. :blink: