question

nig

Torque Junkie
Car
rover 200 1.4si ish
on a motor bike you can remove the indercators and switch and would pass a mot does that go for a car ?

on a motor bike you can remove the indercators and switch and would pass a mot does that go for a car ?

I'll take it as read that indicators are not required on motorcycles given that's what you've stated.

Interesting question. A car would fail an MoT if the indicators are not working correctly. As would a bike.

I think what you are asking is actually this: 'Does the vehicle need to be fitted with WORKING indicators?'

In the case of a car that was fitted with indicators when firstly registered for use in the UK then the indicators must be present and must work accordingly.

If the car was of such an age that indicators weren't mandatory then they MoT would not require them to be present. However, if they have been fitted then they would need to work correctly.

Much like a spare wheel. If it's there then it needs to be suitable for use upon the car thus presented for MoT examination. In the case of a spare wheel you could argue that it is only superfluous luggage and was never intended for use upon the vehicle thus presented for MoT examination.

The big question is this: Why on Earth would you want to remove the indicators, whether or not the car will pass an MoT and whether or not it's lawful to do so?

I'll take it as read that indicators are not required on motorcycles given that's what you've stated.

Interesting question. A car would fail an MoT if the indicators are not working correctly. As would a bike.

I think what you are asking is actually this: 'Does the vehicle need to be fitted with WORKING indicators?'

In the case of a car that was fitted with indicators when firstly registered for use in the UK then the indicators must be present and must work accordingly.

If the car was of such an age that indicators weren't mandatory then they MoT would not require them to be present. However, if they have been fitted then they would need to work correctly.

Much like a spare wheel. If it's there then it needs to be suitable for use upon the car thus presented for MoT examination. In the case of a spare wheel you could argue that it is only superfluous luggage and was never intended for use upon the vehicle thus presented for MoT examination.

The big question is this: Why on Earth would you want to remove the indicators, whether or not the car will pass an MoT and whether or not it's lawful to do so?

was talking in pub today about what you can get away with on a bike mot and just wonderd if it was the same on a car many thanks nig

The one thing riders have in their favour is that bikes do not have front mounted number plates. They are immune from NIPs issued by a foward facing camera simply because the vehicle cannot be identified. Sadly this does not mean that you can remove the front plate of your car.

That is a good thing as far as I'm am concerned. Most riders are superb road users; they are courteous and considerate. They make themselves very visible with DLRs and reflective clothing. And they're extremely observant of what is ahead, dealing with visually gathered information long before that situation they've observed ahead even has a chance to become hazardous to anyone.

Agree, except for spare wheel. This is not part of the MOT test so isn't checked. Expanding on HD's comment, you could have 6 wheels with bald tyres in the back of the car. Would the car then fail its test?

Agree, except for spare wheel. This is not part of the MOT test so isn't checked. Expanding on HD's comment, you could have 6 wheels with bald tyres in the back of the car. Would the car then fail its test?

I asked this question about the spare wheel with my local Mot station. He told me that if a wheel is present in the spare wheel well then it Must be road legal otherwise it will fail an Mot.

TN i asked the same, as at the time i had the install and would have meant pulling it all out, was told its not part of the MOT however the police can check it and if present it must be road legal. if stopped all you would have to say is you dont have one

the traffic cops can check the spare and do you for it normal cops dont bother so much

and as the the mot the only reaso n the spare will fail is if the holder ie its under the car is loose and likey to fall off

but things are there for a reason like lights ect so unless you have a race car that does not have any lights what so ever or wiring switches ect then that would not fail
why bother taking them off

TN i asked the same, as at the time i had the install and would have meant pulling it all out, was told its not part of the MOT however the police can check it and if present it must be road legal. if stopped all you would have to say is you dont have one

Sorry Paul, but that is incorrect. There is no law that states that tyres not actually being used have to be road legal. This must be an urban myth. If it was true, you would be breaking the law taking a bald tyre to Kwik Fit to be replaced. Mind you, perhaps you should be arrested for going to Kwik Fit :)

OG, I've covered all of this. If it's there then it must be suitable for use upon the vehicle within which it's carried.

As I also said you could reasonably argue a case that the wheel (or wheels) you're carrying were never intended to be fitted to the vehicle within which they're being carried thereby negating the need for any of them to be subject to the MoT test.

I think that this non-requirement is possibly a reaction to the current (and also quite old now) idea of carrying a space saver spare wheel/tyre assembly.

I was told that if the spare is there then it must be legal for an MOT.

Surely though the police would not convict you for using a car with a defective tyre as the spare is not in use and is in transportation.;)

I'd certainly argue this if I ever got caught with a bald spare. As a rule though the only bald thing in my car is me!

OG, I've covered all of this. If it's there then it must be suitable for use upon the vehicle within which it's carried.

Sorry, disagree with this.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_10016070

This states, under wheels and tyres:

'condition, security, tyre size and type, and tread depth. Spare tyres are not tested'

Spare tyres are not part of the MOT, period, whether visible or not. I have never had one checked in 38 years of having my cars tested :).

Last edited:
I have had some checked in the past. Although I can't say i've noticed recently.

Not all MOT testers are fully conversant with what is and what isn't on the testing list. If they try to tell you that the spare tyre forms part of the test, suggest to them, nicely, that they should check.

Anyway, there isn't anywhere on the MOT test sheet to pass or fail the spare tyre ;)

Anyway, there isn't anywhere on the MOT test sheet to pass or fail the spare tyre ;)

I know i've had a look at one today. I'm not saying it is on the test but my mot man did say it was. It was a few years ago now when I was dealing cars. I have however had one or two tested a few years ago. But nowadays I normally just drop the car off and leave it with them. I used to watch them do it but I don't really do that anymore.

the only thing that come into the test is if the spare is on the back door (4x4) or under the boot floor (most french cars) is that the spare must be sercured ie if the spare is on the back door and its flaping about thats a fail as it could fall of
or the carrier under neath is lose tyre in it or not then that would fail as that can fall of

thats it if your spare tyre fails cos its bald or not there ect then go to vosa as the tester is not not doing his job right
in my 4 years as a tester i have never failed a spare tyre cos its not in the rules
end of

I don't, ever, approach Kwik Fit for anything.

Clearly I'm adrift when it comes to the legality of a spare wheel and the tyre fitted to it.

It also seems that the condition of the road tyres is inspected, for cracks/cuts and other signs of damage but the car cannot fail on the strength of inadequate tread alone.

Any ideas?

It also seems that the condition of the road tyres is inspected, for cracks/cuts and other signs of damage but the car cannot fail on the strength of inadequate tread alone.

Any ideas?

As far as I am aware, tyres on cars first used after 2 Jan 1933 must have at least 1.6mm of tread over at least the central 3/4 of the width and be continuous around the whole circumference. The edges of the tyre can be bald, as long as the central 3/4 complies.

yes and no if the tester thinks its bad then they will fall cracks ect have to be down to the cords
but if the tyres are bald on the edges they have to be bad for a fail

If you put some current through water it turns into HHO gas then this feeds into your engines intake and gives you 100MPG and an addition 50bhp. ;)