Possible car colour change

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
OK, I have had the Saab steel grey for 8 years now and wondered whether it was time for a change! Now baring in mind that I have a new Black Carbon Fibre front bumper middle section and front spoiler, door pillars, front sills, rear boot lid spoiler and rear air diffuser. Also the interior is mid grey leather with the odd cream bit off trim.

Need some guidance here! :confused: Do I leave well alone or spray the beast another colour more suited to match the carbon fibre trims and overall shape of the car?

I had thought of white TN!!! not a bright white but something that's a little more subtle, such as the white in the Lexus range. Not sure what it is called, but it has a touch of another colour inside it which makes it less pronounced, if that makes sense! ;)

How about something similar to a bayside blue (Nissan colour)?

Would that be a light, mid or dark blue Prince? I want something that looks nice when washed yet means I wont be on first name terms with the car valeters! :amuse:

It'll look awesome with the carbon fibre.

SkylineR34.jpg

Personally I think a solid colour would contrast with the carbon much better than a metallic or pearlescent - possibly between cream and white like the jaguar white on the Mk2 s.
Think its called old english white.

I agree with Sleeper but then again I can see the arguement for the metallic/pearl colours. Any sort of blue would just look wrong, even with the carbon contrast. I think T9, you should keep some sort of link to Saabs history, how about a matte, light weight, radar reflecting stealth paint used on their jet fighters?

Really though, I'd keep it subtle looking with a dark metallic grey, charcoal or anthracite would go well with the carbon fibre.

will you be looking to do this when the AWD system goes in? :lol:

I've been thinking about my car being dark grey. I was going to consider having a nightime city skyline view sprayed down the whole side of the car. I think it would look really nice, as it is a dark scene the car will look shiny still and it will almost look like the paint is reflecting a city view.

I'm sure Lawrence can do something for you quite cheaply along these lines.

Black roof is also getting popular so perhaps consider alternatives like painting sides and other panels in varying shades.

I'd say some shade of white as well as the carbon would work well with this. However I would say why not look at a wrap rather than a paint job? That way you might be able to test a couple of panels first.

I agree with Sleeper but then again I can see the arguement for the metallic/pearl colours. Any sort of blue would just look wrong, even with the carbon contrast. I think T9, you should keep some sort of link to Saabs history, how about a matte, light weight, radar reflecting stealth paint used on their jet fighters?

Really though, I'd keep it subtle looking with a dark metallic grey, charcoal or anthracite would go well with the carbon fibre.

will you be looking to do this when the AWD system goes in? :lol:

:lol: Everyone at work keeps telling me i'm mad! and that the current colour of steel grey is fine! Not sure whether this will wait until the AWD system after Xmas or get it done before! I keep leaning towards the white, but I need to do a few photoshop efforts to help me make up my mind. Decisions decisions! ;)

I'd say some shade of white as well as the carbon would work well with this. However I would say why not look at a wrap rather than a paint job? That way you might be able to test a couple of panels first.

Hello, hold the phone! :blink: Now there's an idea :bigsmile:

for me i think saab's only look good in grey/silver, white, black and a lightish blue. but i need to see a pic of your car with the carbon on for me to give it a suggestion;)

A friend of mine has a saab thats a kind of off white - why not keep it a saab colour.

But whatever colour you pick............

DO THE AWD CONVERSION FIRST

Soooooooooooooooo much more important (as I am sure you will soon find out )

for me i think saab's only look good in grey/silver, white, black and a lightish blue. but i need to see a pic of your car with the carbon on for me to give it a suggestion;)

Indeed Herb, Hopefully just over a week to go now. I will post the pics the moment I have the old girl back so you can let me know what you think. ;)

A friend of mine has a saab thats a kind of off white - why not keep it a saab colour.

But whatever colour you pick............

DO THE AWD CONVERSION FIRST

Soooooooooooooooo much more important (as I am sure you will soon find out )

Wise words there Sleeper! I do get very impatient from time to time! :amuse: