porting and polishing.lighten and balance

Depends a lot on where you go - removal and fitting can be significant cost but I would have thought about £700. Buying a lighter flywheel is probably a better option that lightning the existing one.

I also varies a lot on the head - a 24 valver or V block can cost a lot more to do than an 8 or 16 valver!

With the flywheel - you may find the ones fitted to smaller engined models of your car will fit and they are typically lighter so this might be a good compromise before you go the whole hog for a really light flywheel and the car seems to die every time it hits a hill.

the head bear no values.my dads friend said he could do it for £80 but its no a mirror finish but i could do that with wet n dry couldn't i? and flywhhel for £40. so how much would you take off the flywheel in weight wise? :?

Those prices are pretty good - he sounds like a handly man to know. Wet and dry will take hours to get a polished finish. A really fine grade of grinding wheel on a hobby drill will make the job a lot quicker and then switch to a polishing wheel after using a cutting paste.

Does this guy know what he is doing ? It's easy to completely stuff the airlflow if you get it wrong! While he is at it you may as well ask him to narrow the inlet chambers in the head thinning the wall between the 2 intake tunnels.

Are you going for bigger valves as well - with the head off it's certainly worth thinking about this as well.

Flywheel - I certainly wouldn't lose more than a third of the weight but even shedding a kilogram or 2 would make the engine rev more freely.

he's been doing it for about 30 years.better do some research on values now to see what ones i can use unless you got something in mind :?:

There are valves with a 2 angled step which seem to work better. Generally the bigger the better but I don't know enough about your engine to make a really specific call.

sorry :oops: i know its only at 1.2 nova and only products about 55-60bhp but im taking out all the the seats,carpet ect....changing the boot lid for a fibreglass one.they rev better and i heard from people that they are a better engine than a 1.3? drivers down the race track rate them.people will say why! why not! thanks for helping me.xxx

The 1.2 is higher revving than the 1.3 but I don't think its possible to squeeze much more power out of it. Lighning the car will also help improve performance etc...

You could exploit the high revving nature with a full balance of the bottom end. You might look into fitting the injectors and manifold from the 1.3 or perhaps the 1.3 head would fit the 1.2 block - not really sure on this one. I had a 1.3 and a 1.4 and the 1.3 was more revvy to drive and I'm sure I had more fun in that than ever with the 1.4!

The old maxim applies - more air needs more fuel :wink:

Just a heads up on polishing - don't polish the inlet manifold as the ridges, pimples and bumps help the fuel to vapourise more fully. Polishing the internals of the head and the exhaust are the name of the game.

Another good setup would be use a bigger engines cams i.e. 1.4-1.6 and then use larger injectors from a 1.4-1.6, and exhaust system should see you nicley off the line. My mate has an old GTE shape astra with a 1.3 merit in it and that shifts now.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back