newbie civic help pls

THE STIG

Car
civic 1.4Si mk6
hi all i have civic mk6 hatchback 1.4si:((i no) can anyone tell me my engine code and wot gearbox is on it ,ive always wanted this shape civic for years so got this one to try make my little pocket rocket.i never owned a honda before im gonna keep running the lil 1.4 for a bit but plan on a b16b swap somtime so im wantin to mod the 14 for now,
i ve got a new filter for it ijust need to rig up a new air feed as im rippin out the old box an dustbox as i think i can get more air in with a diff set up an il do the exhaust too ,what else would ppl recommend:) thanks

leave the standard airbox in place mate. i had cone filter with cold air feed and decat but could hardly tell the difference when i put it back to standard to sell on.

that was on the d14 engine as well.

save the money for the new engine

get the suspension sorted along with brakes - not just cheap fast road pads before the engine goes in and this will save you some hassle at least

It is a pretty tight fit but most modern engines are. You could always put the battery in the boot if space is really tight.

Can anyone tell me my engine code and what gearbox is in it.
Engine code is D14A4 and the transmission is the S40.

I've never owned a Honda before im gonna keep running the lil 1.4 for a bit but plan on a B16B swap sometime so I'm wanting to mod the D14 for now.
First of all, don't waste any money on the D14. You will barely see any gains for your money. The B16B is the engine from an EK9 (Type R) and will produce 170bhp. However, if you mean the B16A, then you'll be getting 160bhp. Both are VTECs. Have a look here mate: http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f19/honda-engine-swaps-4053/

I've got a new filter for it i just need to rig up a new air feed as I'm ripping out the old box and dustbox as I think I can get more air in with a different set up an I'll do the exhaust too.
Leave the standard air filter in place! Honda did a very good job with the air filter and there is absolutely no need to replace it. The exhaust will be a good place to start but bare in mind you will only want a cat-back exhaust.

What else would people recommend? :) Thanks.
Start with supension and brakes first mate. Coilovers, anti-roll bars, anti-sway bars, lower control arms, strut braces... Start with the coilovers though. I would go for some Skunk2 coilovers. You'll engine the car much more if it handles well.

When you do the brakes, you will want the entire breaking system from an EK4 or an EK9 (this will also give you a 5 stud conversion).

When it comes to the engine think very carefully about what you want from the car. I would go for a B18C as it's the easiest swap for the power and money. K20As can be done but don't actually fit without cutting into the chassis a little bit. It's a lot of work and it's not that much of a power difference between the K20A and the B18C. Not to mention the labour costs involved! What kind of power figures do you want?

Don't forget the free mod of stripping out the car. EJ9s can be quick little cars if you remove all the excess weight. It might take an entire day to do, but if you don't want the rear bench, lose it and fit a strut brace. Honda's don't have much torque so making them weigh less is important.

Interior wise, don't mess about with aftermarket steering wheels and Cobra seats. They're rubbish. Get yourself a set of DC2 or EK9 recaros.

Last thing, looks: Don't put on a bodykit. It adds weight and looks awful. Colour code the bumpstrips and get a lip kit. Greddy, JUN, Spoon all do nice ones, that or get an EK9 one.

When you reach 10 posts I wanna see some pics! Any questions give me a shout mate.

top one prince you sort it all in one post nice one il get some pics up when i can,it ,ll come in time,i just want some speed not going to spoil it with stupid body kits i need to get the lil 13 inch honda rims tho haha theres locking nut on it tho and the star type didnt come with the car(dam)managed to get one of a freind from the new type r ,the same style of key but it doesnt seem to fit mine so does any one know how much one is from honda or sumwhere dont wanna how to do the socket and hammer job..?
cheers

Last edited: