Need Air Filter that can cope with 650bhp

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Any ideas on the best air filter to use on a 650bhp engine? Thinking of a twin cone type but open to suggestions.

I would approach a company direct with that question as you might get an offer to get one done for free. Try ITG, Green, K&N, BMC etc and see what feedback you get.

Have you tried contacting or researching the teams that ran them in the BTCC or WTCC? Eggenberger, Trackstar, Rouse etc?

I would approach a company direct with that question as you might get an offer to get one done for free. Try ITG, Green, K&N, BMC etc and see what feedback you get.

Have you tried contacting or researching the teams that ran them in the BTCC or WTCC? Eggenberger, Trackstar, Rouse etc?

Good idea, I will try that :)

I have done no research yet as I have just reached this point in the project.

Any thoughts on lowering car problem yet?

It needs to be strong enough to stop small children from being sucked into the engine!

I'd say dual cone but some are set at 90 degrees in a T setup, surely it would be better for airflow to have 2 inline on a V than the usual T.

Personally on a car running that set-up I would try a VECTIS design. This is an aperture as large as possible at the front which gets smaller in volume as it gets need the inlet manifold/throttle bodies or carbs. Here you will get a ramair effect and on track this equates to turbo charging.

This is the design mentioned in the VLB synopsis and what was developed for the BTCC back in 92/93 and helped Nissan to 1st and 2nd in the 93 British G.P. support race if my memory serves me correct. It was so good that most engine manufacturers were redesigning their heads so that the inlet tracts were at the front of the engine, I remember Vauxhall doing this pretty quickly when they saw what the results were and quickly homologated the changes.

We had this system on a ZXR750 and when this was being tested it blew the engine. Not surprising considering the guy riding it! He had the engine stripped and took the pistons to Cosworth to get analysed. On inspection they said you were using too much boost, wind it down. He said impossible! I don't have a turbo fitted! The answer here was simple, on track it gulped in so much air the ecu could not cope with the changes. We had to develop a smart ecu with in-head burn sensor to monitor the burn and adjust the mixture on the fly.

Personally I would use a quality unit but the positioning of the filter housing and cold air feed is the key to performance. We all know that engines thrive on cold dense air as this carries more oxygen.

It's not the speed but the effect the design of the inlet that it has on the speed of the airflow. I have recorded a +15% increase at 90mph around Goodwood and that was a pretty crude 1st off fabricated for an Audi. The bike in question was doing about 180 when it let go and there was plenty more left apparently.