Need a second car

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
It's (sadly) time for this family to become a two car one again.

I need a work hack.

Thinking of a Golf hatch with the 170bhp V5 20 valve engine. Ideally automatic but I'll take a manual at the right price and condition.

Any opinions/ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

i am picking up a 106 tomorrow
has your name all over it lol

i keep looking at another car keep looking into getting another lexus ls400 but have only had my astra a couple of months at best and being a 1.6 is good on fuel but is no lexus

I'm not really a Vauxhall fan to be truthful. This is no secret in here though. Lexus LS400 is a bit OTT for my needs as we have one luxury car anyway. But a 106 is a bit too far the other way.

also just picked up a rover 214 lol not looked at that one just bought it will look at it at the weekend

but the lexus is a bit ott for me as well as most of the time i am the only one in the car but i just like them and only reason i got rid of my last one is cos i never topped up the gear box level and killed the box after i hadd already put another one in so thought it was time to get another motor and bought my first trans am lol

Don't dismiss the Seat Leon, you will get a lot of car for your money.

Is it going to do many miles? Is MPG important to you?

Does it have to be the 2.3 V5? Did they fit this enine in the A3?

What about Skoda - it's another option? Does it have to be a Golf sized car?

Golf / Focus size is what i need really. Already have a large car.

The V5 was only used in the Toledo, Golf, Bora and Passat.

I don't want a supercharged car so that rules out the 1.8T engines, as good as they are.

And I do like the inherent quirkiness of the V5.

I'm amazed you're not going for a diesel engine with a remap? Why don't you want a charged car? If it's been properly serviced it'll go on for miles.

You mentioned a GT150 but it doesn't have an auto. The Bora PD150 would, plus it's a bora so will be cheaper than the equivalent Golf:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-/980...cles_CarParts_SM&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Or you'd be best off with a 130 auto, remapped, supposedly the 130 has less problems than the 150:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201140419168040

50k on the clock, fsh, safely remappable to 170/290 on a standard clutch

Fcous ST170s are getting mega cheap if you want that size of car with a bit of poke but without a turbo. 2.3 V5 is supposed to be a bit thirsty.

Last edited:
Isn't it funny how things turn around?

When I joined this site in April 2006 I was laughed at for having a remapped 16 valve 2.2 HDi car and suggesting that is was anything other than painfully slow.

I know a proeprly serviced diesel will go for years but the problem is the budget I have in mind is likely to lead me into some uncertainty over this fact.

Hence my choice for naturally aspirated petrol power. I love the diesel delivery and shove but it comes with a risk I am not willing to take, or cannot afford to take at this point.

It's (sadly) time for this family to become a two car one again.

I need a work hack.

Thinking of a Golf hatch with the 170bhp V5 20 valve engine. Ideally automatic but I'll take a manual at the right price and condition.

Any opinions/ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Hi Paul

I had a Mk4 Golf V5 170bhp 20V (2002 model). Really lovely engine, loves to rev. You can't go far wrong with that... mine was Auto and it was a pretty good box. Remapped it made 183.7bhp with no other mods.

Hi Paul

I had a Mk4 Golf V5 170bhp 20V (2002 model). Really lovely engine, loves to rev. You can't go far wrong with that... mine was Auto and it was a pretty good box. Remapped it made 183.7bhp with no other mods.

What sort of money do these cars go for on the used market RB?

How about a Volvo C30? Mind you I don't think that they have come down in price,

I know I will get a kicking for this but I personally wouldn't go for a car from the VAG stable, I don't think there as reliable as people think they are and servicing costs are high, and also and this really is a personal thing I think they are rather dull.....
Also don't think for a second I would suggest that you should buy a newer shape Peugeot 307 era as I don't like them for much the same reasons as the VAG's

But Paul, you need to come back to the turbo diesel side of things though cause you know thats what you really want, and seriously only a complete tool can break a modern turbo, be it on a petrol engine or a diesel engine, auto diesels though in your size of car a budget are kind of unheard of.

Diesel ford focus in the mk2 shape can be easily has for £4,000

It's all good advice. In truth yes I would like to go down the diesel route and if I find a car with a solid history I'd be quite likely to buy it.

I can live without automatic transmission.

Focus TDCi will remap readily and get me back the midrange grunt that the 528i lacks. Not that it's slow, it goes extremely well, but it does like its revs.

But just think how much work you can get done if you get everywhere faster? T9 has managed to fit another 10 call outs a day since his engine upgrade.

I would imagine that a V5 Bora has led a less stressful and better maintained life than a Golf.

I do think you are a bit daft not considering a turbo though. If well serviced there is no reason why they can't go on to massive mileages and they will give similar performance and better MPG than a V5.

This Passat looks to be a good buy http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...postcode/ct149qz/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

Nice Golf GT TDi with FSH http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...postcode/ct149qz/radius/1500/page/2?logcode=p - a 2004 model but I reckon they will drop to £4k due to the mileage.

2002 Toledo 2.3 v5
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...keywords/v5/postcode/ct149qz/page/1?logcode=p

Leon 1.9 TDI http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...keywords/v5/postcode/ct149qz/page/1?logcode=p

Last edited:
It's the if word with turbos that I don't like. Should I find a car with a soild history i'd buy a turbo with confidence. Otherwise it's nat asp for me. And I also want more than four cylinders.

The V5 appeals for it's quirkiness.

Not being biased at all :amuse: but a friend is looking to sell this MG ZS 115 Diesel, it's an 06 plate with history and 48k recorded miles. Leather interior etc. Been upgraded to 151bhp with the right mods and the current owner is a Policemen so nothing silly has been done to it! If I had the money I would buy it myself, think he wants £4k for it. For an 06 plate that is plain daft imo. Might be too racy looking for you but that is all factory fitted stuff.

NewCamera-1015.jpg

More than 4 cylinders?, well I know a well kitted and looked after ZS 180 with LPG up for sale, was entered into the pride of ownership at the Zed10 this year.

S40 T5 has 5 cylinders...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Volvo-S40-2-5-T5-Se-Geartronic-4-door-Saloon-/260842424863

Lot of car for the money, 0-60 in 7 seconds even in auto form but wont attract the boy racers like driving a Focus ST would. By all accounts the T5 engine is very strong and apparantly has a lovely off-beat warble, it can be boosted to over 300bhp on standard internals so in 225bhp form is quite unstressed.

And should your mind clear and you finally realise that you NEED more power :p:lol: drop in an uprated intercooler and a remap and you're knocking on the door of a safe 300bhp...

Last edited:
My 2005 Ford Focus has 39000 miles on the clock and was £4100 2 months ago. Excellent service history. And even without a remap it has plenty of pull. I do alot of town driving and my commute is only 2 miles each way but i'm still getting 43mpg. I'm not exactly in eco mode either. But if you do get it remapped then 320lbft and 180bhp is niiiice.

i 2nd for a volvo i would buy one any day of the week

well mayb not sunday as thats gods day of rest so if he is off i am off lol

If you could up your budget a bit you could really treat yourself and go for a 350Z. Buyers market atm don't forget ;)

I know ther state of the economy. But I do not need a 350Z as a work hack. I want a well built hatch or small saloon with enough of an engine to make it pleasant to drive.

Too small and I really want to prevent turbo compressor energized applications. They can be a actual liability in 2nd person motors i think.