loss of power to my audi a3

arogers

Car
audi a3 2,0tdisline
hi everybody i am new to this and have just joined...ive got an audi a3 that got a sudden loss of power when i checked the engine management system it said i have a defective wastegate..is this an expensive problem and would it explain a slight whineing noise on the turbo....many thanks

Hi, the waste gate is what controls the air pressure produced from your Turbo. The gate opens more as the pressure increases to bleed the over pressure to prevent damage to the engine from over boost. It sounds as if yours is sticking in the open position and bleeding off to much pressure. Steve

cheers steve..it happened three times before the engine light came on and after doing a bit of research im starting to get the feeling this is a common problem with this engine,i just hope its not to expensive,thanks again

hi everybody i am new to this and have just joined...ive got an audi a3 that got a sudden loss of power when i checked the engine management system it said i have a defective wastegate..is this an expensive problem and would it explain a slight whineing noise on the turbo....many thanks

Greetings and Welcome To Our TorqueCars Forum My Friend! :)

Hi, the waste gate is what controls the air pressure produced from your Turbo. The gate opens more as the pressure increases to bleed the over pressure to prevent damage to the engine from over boost. It sounds as if yours is sticking in the open position and bleeding off to much pressure. Steve

Greetings and Welcome To Our TorqueCars Forum My Friend!

Check the waste gate itself as it is often an external part of the Turbo "A simplistic way is to think of it as a cat flap that opens on a pivot against a spring by the pressure being produced by the pressure of the turbo" it should open freely and smoothly against the spring pressure (it may need a bit of lube). To get a full and proper idea of the parts that make up a Turbo look up turbo repairs on YouTube. Steve

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.

You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
Hope you enjoy your time with us.

Hello and Welcome to TorqueCars.:bigsmile:
Hope you enjoy your time with us.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back