Interested in A3s

Gregers

Car
Corsa B
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have been having a brows around and you lot know a hell of a lot more than me witch isn't that hard :lol:. I currently have a 1.2 Corsa B but I'm saving up for a new car as i have started working. I have liked the A3's for a while now and was just wondering if there is anything i should look out for? do any of the old ones before a sertain year or something nown for problems? Is it better to look at newer ones?

Also if you have a rough price range could be handy thanks.

Hi Gregers and welcome to TorqueCars. Nice to have you along. To get a feel for prices do a search on autotrader.

Here is an overview.

In 2000 a 4 door A3 was offered up to that point you could only get a 3 door. Some of the early coil packs were prone to failure but they have all been replaced by now so this is a bit of a mute point really.

The stock 1.8 is reasonable but when you have driven the 1.8T and seen how easy it is to tune up you will never ever even consider a 1.8 NASP model.

Forget the 1.6 - it is underpowerd and unloved.

The TDi is a good unit although not as powerful as the one offered in the Golf.

The T-Sport comes with a semi locking diff which is great for traction in the wet, on gravel and on fast cornering.

The Quattros are really good but very expensive and you pay a premium in fuel. They are also slightly higher powered engines in the Quattro.

Drawbacks? There is a not a lot of rear passenger leg room. Other than that I'm very pleased with mine. It is a 1.8T sport and gives me a 37 mpg average.

The new road tax regs will hit models after 2001 so this should have a bearing on your choice. In 2002 there was a facelift of sorts with an all in one headlight being the easiest way to tell them apart. (Tail lights are also slightly different!)

The MK3 is very nice and addresses the legroom issue but I think they are still quite expensive.

All A3's hold their value well. If I'd bought a newer Clio with the same money I would have lost over £3000 in depreciation compared to the A3. So although you pay out more you will lose it more slowly than with other cars. Plus they are very reliable.

NOTE CHECK FOR FULL SERVICE HISTORY. Wrong oil used (non synthetic) or oil left in too long are prone to sludging which blocks the fuel pump and causes major engine failure. (The Audi long life service is 24,000 miles and 2 years and uses synthetic oil although I do mine every year with fully synthetic to be on the safe side.) At 80,000 miles you need a new cambelt AND waterpump. If the water pump has not been done knock down the price of the car by £2-300.

all mk1 and 2 like all the other vag variants suffer from of common issues.

like waynnes said coil packs on the older issues had issues, newer ones are better, newer ons are 1 piece older ones have a coil pack and plug connector

coolant temp very prone to failure on older ones, blue. and slightly better with the newer green ones - shouldnt take long to change yourself cost around £20 for the sender clip and o ring. Wife recently charged nearly £50 to change this

brake light switch is also easily broken this causes a few issues - no brake lights, and sometimes causes the car not to cut fueling so emissions light comes on.

if your not bothered about the quattro look towards the golfs, they dont have such a higher buying price and if your after a diesel the audis only get up to the 130 engine where as seat and VWs got the 150 engine as well

Thanks for the information. I prefer the look of the 3 door models rather than the 5 door. Rear leg room I don't think would be a huge problem I'm also not the tallest of people bout 5 foot 6 maybe bit taller so my seat isn't that far back lol. Do you know what the different engine sizes get MPG wise? And i would like to go for a larger engine but as I'm 18, 19 in Feb and have been driving for a year insurance wouldn't be too nice i don't think. So that's something i have to watch out for. I'm not too sure about the age of one yet kind of depends on price etc. would you say it would be worth it to get a newer one? say around the 2004 mark? Than say 1998 or something like that. Would it be worth waiting and saving up the extra money for it. I do prefer the look of the newer ones aswell. Also a newer car should have a lower milage as i don't want to get one that has gone to the moon and back if i can help it. As my job in a few years could result in a lot of traverling that would pick up the miles.

Thanks for your help.

The seats are very adjustable including height so you will be guaranteed a good driving position. The best petrol was I recall the 1.8T with 37 the others although smaller engines were still just under this. Check the stats on Parkers to compare all of the models.

Insurance is cheaper on older cars so I would go with an older low mileage one plus you'll avoid the tax hike. Its worth comparing the insurance on the Golf, Leon, Cupra and A3 with the same engine size as there will typically be quite a bit of difference.

1.6 twin cam 105bhp gives around 41mpg normal driving in the golf, however its pretty low geared 75mph is 4000 rpm. only gave me 38mpg on the way back up from birmingham. My 1.8t gives me around 32mpg average and 37 with motorway driving

hi im pleased your interested in the a3 ive got the 1.8t sport and i will never look back although VAGs are prone to leaks, i had a leak coming from the pollen filter this is normally just build up of leaves or watever so its always good to check that. ive also herd the the doors a also prone to leaking.

thats good then but you are 1 of millions of people who own a VAG car do some reseach there is plenty on the net about them leaking,cheers

i had an '03' 2003 (last of '8L') 1.9 TDi 130PD Sport

Half leather recaros, black headlining, armrest, Convenience pack etc etc - top car and wish i still had it. Watch out for rust on edges of roof - mine was starting to go. DIS in dash sometimes loses lines and is very expensive to change. Indicator relay is hazard warning switch and can play up. Brakes upgrade to 312mm quite cheap 288mm brakes are a bit naff

48+ mpg easily and it got driven hard. Group 13 ins but tax was £120.

We have a '54' plate '8P' 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG too which is very nice but was pricey to buy and is a bit thirsty in comparison to the 1.9.

Last edited:
I'm just a 1.8T snob now. Nothing else compares :lol:

They are all good cars and are very well built. You can't really go wrong with any of them as long as they have been looked after.

1,6 is low geared nearly 4k rpm at 75. the 1.8t 6spd is 3k at 80. much quieter and just as economical

same problems exist with the 1.6 as the 1.8t the only thing you donthave to worry about is the diverter valve splitting

sould have said theres 2 versions of the 1.6 a singlecam and twin cam 103 and 105 bhp resectavly.
reading i gave are for the 105 engine. which also has the air filter hidden away in the engine cover

Thanks for all the information I appreciate it. Not been on much lately as of work but got some time off after today :). Is there any difference in performance etc. for the new models compared to the old one? apart from the look? As i am slightly leaning towards the new shape. Sorry about the questions if they seem stupid. Still learning :toung:. Is there much differance in the insurance between the two models? Thanks :D

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back